LHNCC agenda: August 2019

  1. Introductions, apologies
  2. Minutes of Previous Meeting
  3. Matters arising
  4. Police Report
  5. (7.00pm-7.15pm approx.) Presentation: Jim Jarvie – SOSLeith, ‘Update on the Tidying of the Lower Shore Basins’
  6. Reports: Secretary and Treasurer
  7. Councillors/MSP/MP Report/s
  8. Planning Update (circulated) (also available on LHNCC planning page)
    1. Industry Lane: Ref. No:18/01876/FUL – Application refused/withdrawn
    2. Aldi: Ref. No:16/00127/REF appeal granted– progress report
    3. Tower Street: 19142 PAN Notice: Barratt’s – Public exhibition: Leith Library, 16/10/19, 3.00pm – 7.00pm
    4. Bath Road Ref. No: 18/08206/FUL – Application granted 5/8/19
  9. CCTT (Community Councils Together on Trams)
    1. Meeting 1 August feedback – Branding presentation by Chris Wilson (TT/CEC) campaign element that looks to reflect Leith and channels to communicate any changes to the published plans.
  10. Local events & feedback – Updates available on LHNCC ‘other work’ page
    1. Leith Heritage Strategy Plan (11/7/19) – meeting feedback. Liaise with Kristeen Hannesdottir, Director, Groves-Raines Architects Lamb’s House
    2. Heart of Newhaven (17/8/19) – Taster event: Victoria Primary School.
  11. CEC and Scottish Government Information and consultations
    detail available on LHNCC events page

    1. CEC Edinburgh Partnership Report
      Neighbourhood Networks update
    2. CEC Edinburgh Community Council Scheme Review Final Phase schedule
      22 August 2019: Report to Council to approve final Scheme
      October 2019: Final Scheme to be for CC Elections and CC Term
    3. Scot. Govt. Short-term lets
      https://consult.gov.scot/housing-services-policy-unit/short-term-lets/ Closed 19/7/19
      Consultation Event (Short-term lets) 15/7/19– Victoria Quay feedback.
      07021 – Forth Ports Ltd- Maintenance Dredging and Sea Deposit, Newhaven Harbour – Consultation – Response Required by 06 September 2019
    4. CC Elections 31 October 2019
      CEC: CC Elections 2019 Briefing note available on website
      Campaign– proposals?
  12. AOCB
    Visit to HMS Forth
    WGH Bus 21 campaign update.
    Duncan Bremner – Leith Conference (Leith Proposals: Leith Harbour & Newhaven Community Council, Sat. 5 October, Leith Community Centre, 11-3pm
  13. Date of next meeting:
    Tuesday 24 September 2019 – new time 7.00pm – 9.00pm

LHNCC minutes May 2019

Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council ordinary meeting, held at Leith Community Centre on Tuesday 28 May 2019 at 6:30pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. Nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against an item.

In the chair’s absence, the meeting was chaired by Elaine Dick.

1 Introductions and apologies for absence

1.a Present

Stewart Auld LHNCC Douglas Tharby LHNCC treasurer PC Chris Smith Police Scotland
Elaine Dick LHNCC vicechair Bruce Ryan Minutes secretary Duncan Bremner Citizen Curator
Jennifer Marlborough LHNCC secretary Cllr Adam McVey Leith ward 1 resident/visitor

1.b Apologies

Don Giles LHNCC Arthur Young LHNCC Cllr Gordon Munro Leith ward
Rob Levick LHNCC chair Cllr Chas Booth Leith ward Deidre Brock MP Edinburgh North & Leith

2 Minutes of previous meeting

Approved without changes (proposed D Tharby, seconded S Auld, nem con)

3 Matters arising

Item 11b (R Levick to contact Fort Ports about Rennie’s bridge closure) is held over due to his absence.

4 Police Report

PC Smith reported

  • The speeding motorists mentioned in the April meeting were probably not ‘boy-racers’. This will be confirmed later.
    • There are now roadworks where the speed-camera van had been stationed.
  • Operation Contrition (high visibility patrols in northwest Leith against antisocial behaviour [ASB]) continue.
  • Police have been visiting the Dean & Coven Trust hostel over ASB and missing persons, to build rapport.
  • There was a block security/crime prevention meeting with Western Harbour residents. The police are happy with the current precautions but referred them to the prevention/intervention partnership.
  • Police are visiting the Citadel youth club due to youth ASB at Ocean Terminal and the lighthouse at Western Harbour.
  • There are police surgeries at Ocean Terminal, every 3rd Saturday, 12-2pm
  • Police will be the gala at Victoria primary school on Saturday.
  • There has been a spate of bike-thefts at Rennie’s Isle, Ocean Terminal, Portland Gardens, Pier Place, ASDA (Sandpiper Drive).
  • There is a bike-marking event at Victoria Quay on Monday 17 June (12:00 to 2pm) for both the public and civil servants.
  • An incident of dog-stealing was due to a argument between two residents. Other residents need not worry about their dogs.
  • The police will receive water-safety training from the coastguard and PC Clark on 5 June. (This is not for the public.)
  • There have been complaints about cannabis-smoking at Annfield and Western Harbour, but these have been dealt with.

4.a Questions and comments

  • It was noted that 101 calls are currently not free but may soon become free.
  • Will the Ocean Terminal remodelling include action to deter boy-racers?
    • PC Smith had no information on this.
  • It was noted that there were speed-cameras on Commercial St the previous week, concerning bus lanes.
    • PC Smith sated that this was not a police action
  • There was a report of damage to railings in Newhaven, according to a member of Forth Ports.
  • It was noted that many Just Eat bikes have been removed. PC Smith says he has recovered a number of these bikes.

5 Reports

5.a Treasurer

  • Current balance £633·90.
  • Action: D Tharby to prepare accounts for AGM (June meeting).

5.b Secretary

J Marlborough reported

  • Concerning the new ‘empowering communities fund‘, it is felt by Leith CCs that this is too close to what LeithChooses does. Also, Leith CCs feel it is too complex, and has too short notice for them to take on this year. J Marlborough has passed on information to Heart of Newhaven and Bare Branding.
  • Money is available via Scottish Heritage and the Customs House to produce a Leith heritage strategy plan. (JM is a member of the Leith Civic Trust; LCT’s chair will chair creation of this plan.) JM is collating document for CEC and Forth Ports.
    • It was queried whether this would link to the steel shed question. JM has only just started this work so could not say.

6 Councillors’, MSP’s and MP’s reports

6.a Cllr McVey

  • He reported about closure of The Shore. CEC challenged local businesses to arrange an event together. Other CEC officers are putting ideas together. Events are needed to justify any closure. Without these, the road would just be closed during the Jazz and Blues festival.

7 Planning update

See also LHNCC planning page.

7.a Cala: Waterfront Plaza (affordable block F) 16/03684/FUL

JM noted that the block of affordable flats is to be built by Crudens & Heart: work starts in autumn 2019. Cala has finished the necessary utility work.

7.b Save Leith Walk

J Marlborough reported

8 CCTT (Community Councils Together on Trams)

J Marlborough reported

  • The next monthly CCTT meeting with the trams team is on 29 May. The main contractor will also attend.
    • Action: B Ryan to provide précises of CCTT/TT meetings for CC websites.
  • She has received complaints from Constitution St residents about lack of notice of its closure.
    • The trams team had assured CCTT that the contractor would do isolated boreholes, but the road would not be closed.
    • The contractor has apologised and stated that this work will not cause major issues. However, residents fear that the road will remain closed.
  • There will be major roadworks in the summer to prepare for tram work. See website post 1 and post 2 for details.
    • There have already been complaints about the Duke St roundabout becoming a signalised junction, and about closure of bus stops on Easter Rd without notice.

9 Local events & feedback

See also LHNCC ‘other work’ page.

9.a Heart of Newhaven (formerly Newhaven Project)

J Crabb reported

  • Heart of Newhaven (HoN) intends to purchase the current Victoria Primary School (once its replacement is operating) to create a heritage and community centre.
    • HoN is just about to call for tenders for a feasibility study. The results of this study state how much HoN should pay for the school, and should enable HoN to apply for Scottish Land Fund funding for this purchase.
      • Although Local Authorities are able to set ‘peppercorn’ rents for such community asset transfers, CEC has set a purchase price of £800,000 for the school. HoN is investigating how it could persuade CEC to reduce this price.
    • Introducing Newhaven Walks: stand at Volunteering Event at Leith Community Centre and at other events to raise profile
    • There have been two public meetings
      • In October 2018, asset transfer was proposed, and there was blue-sky thinking about how to use the buildings.
      • At this point, work was led by Newhaven Heritage. However, a more widely representative group was needed, so HoN was set up at an open meeting January 2019, specifically to acquire the school. There is a wide range of local groups on HoN’s steering committee.
    • More detailed community consultation is needed, but so far three themes have emerged: (i) culture and heritage; (ii) learning & enterprise; (iii) community well-being
      • Running through all of these is the theme of ‘intergenerational practice’. Planning Aid Scotland has much experience.
    • The foreseeable timetable is
      • July – appoint consultants
      • July to November – consultation and delivery of feasibility study
      • December – apply to CEC for asset transfer
      • June 2020 – CEC decides, then apply to SLF for purchase price
      • July 2020 – SLF’s decision
      • November 2020- purchase, if the school is available at this point
    • The main concern with this timetable is that the SLF funds end in March 2021.
    • Ways to fund on-going maintenance will be answered in the feasibility study.

9.b EBUG public meeting

J Marlborough reported

  • The group was recently constituted at its first public meeting. This was well attended but the planned main speaker (chair of Lothian Buses) didn’t attend.
  • The meeting was lively, with much discussion of the new 11 and 16 buses. These buses only have one space for baby buggies and wheelchairs. Other issues were noted, e.g. noisy air-conditioning.
  • Questions were raised – these are to be answered by relevant people.
  • Committee members now have tasks. JM may share hers with C Brown.
  • Other topics included shelters that don’t provide shelter, stops, how buses will fit with trams, integrated ticketing, signage.
  • EBUG’s website is in progress.

10 CEC and Scottish Government information and consultations

See also LHNCC events page

10.a Edinburgh partnership review outcomes

  • The initial meeting of the Leith Neighbourhood Network is on 30 May, 6.00pm-8.00pm, at the Kirkgate café.
  • Action: D Tharby and J Marlborough to report in June.
  • D Bremner suggested that the Edinburgh localities model has no community buy-in, so many groups have been invited.

10.b CEC community council scheme review: final phase

This is online at CEC’s consultation hub.It closes 3 June 2019.

10.c Scottish Government: Energy Efficient Scotland: https://consult.gov.scot/better-homes-division/energy-efficient/

  • This closes 17 June 2019
  • D Giles noted (via JM) CEC’s corporate policy and strategy meeting on carbon emissions. He asked whether CEC planning will be pressured to ensure environmentally-friendly developments. He noted that Edinburgh’s high buildings exacerbate issues.
  • Cllr McVey responded that CEC is trying to act in many ways, via planning, treatment of existing buildings etc. CEC is working towards 0 emissions over the next 11 years. This may necessitate not using gas heating or cooking.
    • CEC will aim for passive houses, although industry cannot provide these just now.
    • Big developments can have their own district heating schemes.
    • Small developments in Sherrifhall and Shawfair can use heat from the Millerhill waste plant.
    • There will need to be increased use of trams, bikes, carbon offset via trees.
    • CEC is building towards an action plan to achieve zero carbon by 2030 deadline (2037 drop-deadline).
  • B Ryan asked if it is possible to install double-glazing in listed buildings.
    • Cllr McVey stated that there are relevant products but could not comment on their effectiveness and legality.

10.d Scottish Governmentshort-term lets consultation: https://consult.gov.scot/housing-services-policy-unit/short-term-lets

  • This closes 19 July 2019
  • J has received a communication from PLACE Edinburgh, which is concerned about numbers of short-tem lets.
  • She has also received a communication about key-boxes being put on fences on Lindsay Rd. Key-boxes had previously been put in the development but these had been removed.
    • S Auld added that Platinum Point Plat owners are also getting key-boxes removed. He thanked CEC for its help.
    • There was concern that key-boxes to enable carers to access clients’ properties would be caught in such actions.
    • Cllr McVey stated that current LA powers are very cumbersome. CEC created recommendations for the Scottish Government in August 2018. The First Minister stated in March that it would consult on these recommendations. He asked LHNCC and its members to respond to the consultation
      • Action: J Marlborough to share information with LHNCC members; members to email their points to JM.

10.e Leith festival (8 June)

  • Action: E Dick to create banner, generic flyer, info sheet on LHNCC and a ‘LHNCC needs you’ flyer for the elections.
  • D Tharby and J Marlborough will be there all day.
  • Other volunteers were requested; also for the Volunteer fair on 7 June.

11 AOCB

11.a Request from PLACE Edinburgh group regarding short term lets

See item 10.d above

11.b Query from business owner regarding garages on Coatfield Lane

There was no discussion of this topic.

11.c Leith proposals map: possible dates 21 September, 5 October

D Bremner reported that this map is to help with local place plans (LPPs). LPPs may give opportunities for CCs to state how they would do development differently, and difficulties with development. It may also affect the City Plan.

11.d Steel shed

D Bremner reported that the distillery hopes to receive planning permission by the end of May. This means the shed is likely to be cut up. Ocean Terminal is willing to store the parts for 12 months. The distillery is happy to gift the shed to the ‘people of Leith’. It has no architectural legal protection because it was moved illegally. DB has spoken to the Architectural Heritage Fund about getting funds for scoping new sites and/or reconstruction. Historic Environment Scotland supports this.

11.e Swans

J Marlborough reported that a dead female has been floating in the Water of Leith for over a week. RSPCA, RSPB, Wildlife Scotland, Leith Conservation Trust, CEC and the police all denied responsibility. Eventually LCT tried to retrieve the carcass but it was stuck under a bridge. It was eventually retrieved, and attempts are being made to find out why it died. JM also noted that the carcass was put in a bin, but that this has not been uplifted.

12 Date of next meeting

AGM: Tuesday 25 June 2019

Short-term lets consultation events

From an email from Edinburgh Council

There is a programme of Short Term Let Consultation events (first in Inverness on Tuesday).  A good chance to air local views on short term lets/ Air B&B/ absent landlords etc.

Residents, hosts, businesses, local authorities and anyone with an interest are encouraged to attend all of these events.

The events are free to attend and are on the following dates:

Booking link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/scottish-government-21605263546

Chris Peggie | Governance Officer | Democracy, Governance & Resilience: Governance | Strategy & Communications | Chief Executive | The City of Edinburgh Council | Business Centre 2:1 | Waverley Court, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh, EH8 8BG | 0131 529 4494chris.peggie@edinburgh.gov.uk |www.edinburgh.gov.uk

 

LHNCC agenda: June 2019

AGENDA– Ordinary Meeting

1. Introductions, apologies

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting

3. Matters arising

4. Police Report

5. Reports: Secretary and Treasurer

6. Councillors/MSP/MP Report/s

7. Planning Update (circulated)

(also available on LHNCC planning page)

7.a S1: Skyliner. Ref. No: 19/02778/FUL

2nd application (previous 18/00846/FUL)

7.b Baltic St:

William Muir from Sundial Properties is hoping to submit a FUL application in the next couple of months.

8. CCTT (Community Councils Together on Trams)

Next meeting 27 June, Contractor to be in attendance – tbc

9. Local events & feedback

Updates available on LHNCC ‘other work’ page

9.a Newhaven Gala Day: 1 June 2019

Feedback

9.b Volunteer Fair, Leith Community Education Centre: 7 June 2019

Feedback

9.c Leith Festival Gala Day: 8 June 2019

Feedback

10. CEC and Scottish Government Information and consultations

detail available on LHNCC events page

10.a CEC Edinburgh Partnership Review Outcomes

  • Neighbourhood Networks, Thursday 30 May, 6.00pm-8.00pm. Feedback
  • Tbc joint meeting with LLCC, LCCC and representatives from the three NE VSFs (Voluntary Sector Forum) to address issues

10.b CEC Edinburgh Community Council Scheme Review Final Phase schedule

  • 27 June 2019:Report to Council, and subject to approval, publication of final draft amended Scheme and further four-week Consultation
  • 22 August 2019: Report to Council to approve final Scheme
  • October 2019: Final Scheme to be for CC Elections and CC Term

10.c Scot. Govt. Short-term lets

10.d CC Elections 31 October 2019

  • CEC: CC Elections 2019 Briefing note attached
  • Our proposals for campaign – suggestions

11. AOCB

12. Date of next meeting:

Tuesday 27 August 2019

 

AGENDA– AGM 8.00pm

1. Welcome, introductions and apologies

2. Approval of the Minutes of the 2018 AGM

3. Annual Report, Chairman

4. Secretary’s Annual Report

5. Treasurer’s report: accounts for FY18/19 (to be ratified)

6. Date of next AGM:

Tuesday 23 June 2020

COMMUNITY COUNCIL ELECTIONS 2019 – BRIEFING NOTE FOR COMMUNITY COUNCILLORS

See online version: https://lhncc.org.uk/2019/06/15/calling-all-potential-and-current-community-councillors/

LHNCC minutes: April 2019

Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council ordinary meeting, held at Leith Community Centre on Tuesday 23 April 2019 at 6:30pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. Nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against an item. Continue reading

LHNCC agenda: May 2019

LHNCC Meeting, Shore Room, Leith Community Education Centre, Newkirkgate
Tuesday 28 May 2019 at 6.30pm

1. Introductions, apologies

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting

3. Matters arising

4. Police Report

5. Reports: Secretary and Treasurer

6. Councillors/MSP/MP Report/s

7. Planning update

(also available on LHNCC planning page)

7.a Cala: Waterfront Plaza (affordable block F) 16/03684/FUL

Affordable Block

7.b Save Leith Walk

      • Developer Drum have submitted Appeal to Scottish Govt. DPEA
      • Response plan for Leith CCs

8. CCTT (Community Councils Together on Trams)

Next meeting 29 May, Contractor to be in attendance

9. Local events & feedback

Updates available on LHNCC ‘other work’ page

9.a Heart of Newhaven (formerly Newhaven Project)

Introducing Newhaven Walks: stand at Volunteering Event at Leith Community Centre and at other events to raise profile

9.b EBUG Public meeting

Feedback

10. CEC and Scottish Government information and consultations

Detail available on LHNCC events page

10.a Edinburgh Partnership Review Outcomes

Starting to establish Neighbourhood Networks, Thursday 30 May, 6.00pm-8.00pm. Venue tbc.

10.b CEC Edinburgh Community Council Scheme Review Final Phase

· Closes 3 June 2019

10.c Scottish Government: Consultation Energy Efficient Scotland:

https://consult.gov.scot/better-homes-division/energy-efficient/

Closes 17 June 2019

10.d Scot. Govt. Short-term lets

https://consult.gov.scot/housing-services-policy-unit/short-term-lets

Closes 19 July 2019

11. AOCB

11.a Request from PLACE Edinburgh group regarding short term lets

11.b. Query from business owner regarding garages on Coatfield Lane

12. Date of next meeting:

Tuesday 25 June 2019

LHNCC minutes: March 2019

Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council ordinary meeting, held at Leith Community Centre on Tuesday 26 March 2019 at 6.30pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. Nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against an item. Continue reading