Notes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council members-only meeting, held via Zoom on Tuesday 26 May 2020 at 7pm Continue reading
Given the unusual nature of the circumstances we are in, we are doing our best for the Community Council and also the best in our responsibility to deliver upon our commitment to the community which we serve.
Because LHNCC is currently learning how to conduct meetings online, this will be a members-only ‘discussion’ meeting.
- LHNCC welcomes public input in advance via the website contact-form at https://lhncc.org.uk/contact-us/.
- Public input is equally welcome at any time after the meeting.
LHNCC is aware that online meetings exclude those who cannot access them, whatever the reason. However, this is the best it can offer under the current circumstances.
We would also like to thank all the valiant people who are providing essential services across all sectors in our community and beyond.
Agenda: Tuesday 26 May, 7pm
- Introductions, apologies
- Declaration of interests
- Notes of April 2020 meeting
- Matters arising
- Police Report tbc
- Reports from Councillors and elected representatives
- Chair, Secretary, Treasurer reports
- Standing reports
- 106-162 Leith Walk/Stead’s Place (20/01447/PAN)
- 57 Tower Street/5 Bath Road (20/01313/FUL)
- Trams/CCTT (Community Councils Together on Trams) – next Meeting 28 May
- EBUG (Edinburgh Bus Users’ Group) – CEC traffic measures: Creating Safe space for walking and cycling
- Edinburgh World Heritage in Conservation (virtual) – discussion ‘Is Edinburgh’s architecture at the dawn of a ‘New Golden Age’? (7 May 2020). Tbc Next meeting with Politicians and CEC leader.
- Heart of Newhaven
- Neighbourhood Networks
- Date of next meeting/AGM: Tuesday 23 June tbc
Zoom meeting guide
- Many of you will be familiar with Zoom – but if not I hope this will help. Any queries please do ask beforehand.
- During the meeting your audio and video will be turned off. If you have any technical difficulties, please use the ‘chat’ function.
- We shall answer questions at the end of each item and will have an AOB session at the end of the meeting.
- To ask a question on an agenda item, please type your question into the ‘chat’ function. Questions will be selected by the chair and you will have your audio and video switched on by the host.
- If you wish to add to a point made in the question and answer session at the end, please click ‘participants’ and raise your hand. If selected, we will activate your audio.
(adapted from an email from Heart of Newhaven)
Click here to see the full email in your browser: https://mailchi.mp/3a145d0e95a5/special-news-crucial-stage-passed-thanks-to-you-12296795?e=a2b78c5e8d
Heart of Newhaven’s application to save Victoria Primary School buildings for the community has been ‘validated’. This means the HoN have demonstrated such a high level of community support and need that it has legally qualified for Community Asset Transfer consideration.
(adapted from an email from Heart of Newhaven)
Waiting for the bus……
…and waiting. Then several come at once. That’s before you grapple with bus diversions because of tram works. Nothing in sight yet?
On the cusp of important developments for the Heart of Newhaven community, jump on any of our ‘buses’ because they all take you the right direction. Try this one – We are now a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) SC049919.
We have achieved what we set out to do a year ago under the Constitution of The Heart of Newhaven Community Steering Group – see our website heartofnewhaven.co.uk. Well, not quite! Just the next part of the route and, when compared with exciting things that happened in 2019, a little technical. But vital in applying to the City of Edinburgh Council for the acquisition of Victoria Primary School by Community Asset Transfer, and also towards obtaining a major grant from the Scottish Land Fund.
More to tell you about that journey soon – but very good to be on that bus with us, and on the way noticing changes on our website. Meanwhile you are now among well over 700 of those supporting The Heart of Newhaven increasing daily (so a fleet of buses). Please keep recruiting as this is vital to our success!
Notice what else is happening, as well as building progress on the new school, making all our plans possible. Get ready to put a date in your diary in April for an afternoon event in the Anchor Building. This is the first of three chances to showcase the many activities planned there to illustrate our three themes (remember them?): Learning & Enterprise; Culture & Heritage; Wellbeing. This one will focus on Learning, with a staffed Information Station and a range of opportunities for people of all ages – especially older adults and children to join in reading, crafts and singing – and home baking too!
From DAY ONE – as soon as we have possession of the site – we have an imaginative programme on this part of the campus to begin to fulfil our promise to the NEWHAVEN COMMUNITY while we develop the Victorian Building to incorporate a comprehensive Heritage Suite to provide visitors with a rich experience of a living museum. Have a look back at my last update with two examples of intergenerational activity and building a sense of community.
This one stopping to pick up anyone free on Friday 6th March at 9:30 on a scenic route. ‘Another planting day with children and any adults who would like to join in’ regreening the coastline, from the area just behind the David Lloyd Centre begun last year. Look at our website under Events and read the exciting story of what is already happening.
Rodney Matthews (Vision Facilitator)
Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council meeting, held at the Leith Community Education Centre on Tuesday 28 January 2020 at 7pm Continue reading
Heart of Newhaven invite you for a chat and free coffee
- at the coffee-bar at ASDA (Western Harbour)
- on Tuesday 14 January
- 10am to 12-noon.
Click the image to see the full PDF:
Heart of Newhaven is now a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation. You can apply to be a member if you live in the area shown below, and send the following, using Heart of Newhaven’s form on their December update, to email@example.com. (NB, not to LHNCC!)
NB there is other interesting reading in the December update!
- Other contact details, telephone etc
- Are you involved in any local Newhaven groups? e.g. choir, playgroups, history?
(Heart of Newhaven will not disclose involvement to anyone else).
Heart of Newhaven say
Thank you for providing details and signing up as a member. We use the data given to keep you informed about the ongoing project for as long as you remain signed up. Your data will not be given to third parties.If yo wish to not long hear about this project, please unsubscribe by contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council meeting, held at the Leith Community Education Centre on Tuesday 27 August 2019 at 6:30pm
Actions and decisions are red italic. Nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against an item.