Please register via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/leith-harbour-newhaven-community-council-january-2022-meeting-tickets-238282157347
Minutes of the Community Councils Together on Trams/Trams Team meeting
(Construction Phase) via Google Meet on Thursday 28 October 2021 at 5:30pm Continue reading
Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council ordinary meeting, held via Zoom, on Tuesday 26 October 2021 at 6:30pm Continue reading
One of LHNCC’s intrepid explorers has seen a shark in Ocean Terminal.
But don’t worry, it’s made of e-waste.
But do worry about e-waste itself!
Following on from the last post, there are more consultations and planning applications for items that will affect the LHNCC area. Take a deep breath! (Some of the consultations have closed, and some applications have been withdrawn, so LHNCC is recording here the submissions it has made.)
Crosslane: Residential Serviced Living – Ocean Point 2
- Presentation – LHNCC meeting 23/11/21
Salamander St/Bath Rd (21/01163/PPP)
- Closing date 9/11/21
Ocean Terminal proposals (21/04420/PAN)
Maritime St (21/04479/FUL, 21/04480/LBC)
Mill Lane (21/04912/FUL)
- Consultation now closed
- Letter sent 28/10/21
9 – 21 Salamander Place (20/04907/FUL)
- Site visit took place 14/9/21
DPEA Appeal REF: PPA-230-2343 (8/7/21)
- This application was withdrawn 14/10/21
Proposed extension to the Leith Conservation Area
- Closing date 19/12/21
<LHNCC’s secretary’s personal address redacted>
6 October 2021
231 St. Vincent Street
Glasgow G2 VQ5
Dear Mr. Richardson
Re: 21/04420/PAN Ocean Terminal. First Public Exhibition 23 September 2021
I am writing on behalf of Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council (LHNCC) to provide feedback for above. LHNCC planning group met following our general meeting, attended by members and external attendees, where this group response was completed for your attention.
There was unanimous support in principle for this application but with the proviso that some concerns are considered.
- A general consensus that opening up the waterfront with communal and landscaped areas will be welcomed and enhance the site for the Community
- Would ensure retention of Ocean Terminal as a public facility offering range of services
- New entrance and public realm following demolition of Carpark and Debenhams
- Provision of good retained transport links and addition of the Tram
- Proposed cycle way/footpath retention and extension along the waterfront area
- Variety of opportunities in relation to retail market and community amenities for expanding residential provision
- Retaining and improving transport for range of travel modes
- The provision of proposed opportunity to accommodate plans for 20 minute neighbourhoods
- Vehicle access and parking provision that includes car club spaces and electric charging points for cars and bicycles. Pedestrian priority
- Space for events
- Sustainability and climate change considerations, including pre-demolition waste audit, addressed
Concerns to be considered
- Unanimous concerns regarding proposed high rise/high density development, the proposed area and diagram on page 16 is overpowering and reduces the area available for communal space and is predominately hard landscaping with minimal trees and green space
- This also appears to have tunnel effect at that end of Ocean Drive, blocking out any views to waterfront
- Debate about provision of BTR that attracts a rather niche market, needs to facilitate
intergenerational needs (Ref: City Plan 2030). Retail areas on ground floor could include services for community
eg. Office space, Tourist information centre
- Diagrams misleading with regard to public space and facilities as majority appears to be private with limited public space (diagram front page of Exhibition document and p15)
- Information regarding park accessibility for 20-minute Neighbourhood does not comply with CEC Open Space 2021 Play Place Standards (Ref. Access to Parks)
- Query regarding provision for bicycle racks ensuring security
- The diagram on front page of exhibition document imply there are internal changes across entire site but no information regarding these.
- Questions regarding bus terminus and turning facility at Northern Traffic Signal junction that is replacing the roundabout. There also appears to be only one bus stop on North side of Ocean Drive.
- Disappointed that no recognition of heritage of site, particularly the Discovery Garden that will provide added attraction and greenspace for visitors.
Michelle MacLeod, Centre Manager, Ocean Terminal
Colin Smith, Director/Head of Planning, Turley,co.uk, 7-9 North St.David Street, Edinburgh
Douglas Tharby, Chair, LHNCC
Ref: City Plan 2030 (Proposed Sep. 2021) Policies P46 Edinburgh Waterfront: Place 4
Planning permission – proposals for a mix of house types, sizes and affordability,
Access to Parks – CEC Open Space 2021 Play Space Standards (p28)
The Council’s Open Space Strategy sets out the following requirements to help meet the need for equipped play areas within the existing built up area and to provide for new developments. All houses and flats should have access to at least one of the following:
A play space of
good play value (51 – 70) within 800 metres walking distance
very good play value (71 – 100) within 1200 metres walking distance
excellent play value (101 + ) within 2000 metres direct distance
OT – Western Harbour 2092m
Leith Links – 1609m
Pilrig Park – 1700m
Victoria Park – 1288m
Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council ordinary meeting, held via MS Teams, on Tuesday 28 September 2021 at 6:30pm Continue reading
Minutes of the Community Councils Together on Trams/Trams Team meeting (Construction Phase) via Google Meet on Thursday 30 September 2021 at 5:30pm
Please register via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/leith-harbour-newhaven-community-council-october-2021-meeting-tickets-194707273697
- Introductions, apologies
- Declaration of interests
- Minutes of September 2021 meeting
- Matters arising
- Police Report tbc
- Councillor/MSP/MP reports
- Chair, Secretary and Treasurer reports
- Standing reports
- Ocean Terminal – Pan Application Online consultation.
- Maritime St. Application consultation.
- Hemmingway’s – LRB decision: refused
- Salamander St./Bath Rd. PPP Application notification
- Crosslane: Residential Servised Living. Ocean Point 2
- Mill Lane Clinic, 5 Mill Lane
- Seafield Project update
- Community Councils Together on Trams (CCTT)
- Edinburgh Bus User’s Group
- Water of Leith Conservation Trust: Coalie Park
- North East Community Planning Partnership
- Resident issues
- Concerns about Mill Lane proposal for Sheltered housing
- EACC meeting – 21/10/21
- Date of next meeting
- Tuesday 23 November 2021
The exhibition document is online at https://lhncc.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/255b5-oceanterminal_first_public_exhibition.pdf.
The feedback form is online at https://www.development-oceanterminal.com/feedback.
LHNCC encourages residents to comment on this application. It would also welcome residents’ input via LHNCC’s contact form at https://lhncc.org.uk/contact-us.