Preparatory works for Trams to Newhaven continue with vibration testing

(adapted from an email from Trams to Newhaven: view the original at https://mailchi.mp/7f4d38afd7a4/trams-to-newhaven-update-february-2019-final-business-case-233657)

Ground and Site Investigation Works update

Ground and site investigation works along the route are now in the final stages, with the last of the scheduled works due to complete in week commencing 22 July 2019.
The essential pre-enabling works, being carried out by the tram project’s Systems and Infrastructure contractor Sacyr, Farrans, Neopul (SFN), involves SFN carrying out detailed ground investigation surveys at 25 sites on the route. The work is being carried out in sections of approximately 100 metres at a time and under localised lane closures.
The purpose of ground investigation works is to determine the ground conditions along the route so that the project’s final design can be confirmed. SFN have been checking, among other things, the depth of the bedrock. This will allow us to better understand how deep tram infrastructure foundations need to be, as well as the dimensions of the ‘track slab’, which will be laid beneath the tram tracks.

Continue reading

Public utility works: Leith Area

(adapted from an email from Graham Hall (CEC Senior Transport Team Leader) to Leith ward and Leith Walk ward councillors; with thanks to the councillor that forwarded it to community councils. This information reached LHNCC’s webmaster today [19 July].)

As you will be no doubt aware, The City of Edinburgh Council is carrying out significant pre-tram surfacing works in wards 12 and 13 at the current time via our Transport Design and Delivery section who have McLay’s Ltd carrying out numerous projects in preparation for the Tram extension works which are due to commence later this year.

In addition to these works City Fibre have started their programme to install fibre to the home in the area as well as the other utility providers continuing their business as usual.

It has been agreed with the CEC project manager (Steven Blacklaw) that the locality will coordinate these works around his significant programme to avoid conflict with different sets of work. As McLays Ltd are based in Airdrie and traditionally close down for the Glasgow Fayre fortnight commencing on the 12th of July I have delayed various utility works commencing until McLay’s have closed their sites down and to prevent additional pressure on the road network. The works below have been approved for the period 14th July 2019 to 30 July 2019 to avoid any conflict with the CEC programme.

Whilst there will no doubt be some form of delay caused by the various works, please be assured that every effort has been made to minimise disruption utilising the quieter school holiday period whilst still ensuring these works are completed before CEC’s contractor returns to recommence his programme. Please also note that where required, any works which may present significant disruption have been discussed and approved at the City Wide Traffic Management Group to ensure the most effective traffic management is employed.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to call on the number below.

Utility Location Nature of works Works Start Finish Traffic Management
City Fibre Salamander Street Installing new fibre optic cable TBC TBC Two way temporary traffic signals
City Fibre East Hermitage Place Installing new fibre optic cable 14/07/2019 17/07/2019 Three way temporary traffic signals
Scottish Power Albert Street Main Cable repair 15/07/2019 19/07/2019 Parking Restriction only
Scottish Power Constitution Street Install new service 19/07/2019 23/07/2019 Parking Restriction only
Scottish Power Pilrig Street at Dryden Street Excavate footway to replace joint TBC TBC Parking Restriction only
Scottish Gas Networks Newhaven Road at Graham Street Install new connection to gas main 14/07/2019 30/07/2019 Three way temporary traffic signals
Scottish Gas Networks North Junction Street at Ferry Road Replace existing gas main 14/07/2019 30/07/2019 Three way temporary traffic signals
Virgin Media Lindsay Road at Sandpiper Drive Install new service 15/07/2019 19/07/2019 Lane restrictions and local diversion

Graham Hall – FIHE – Senior Transport Team Leader – Place – City of Edinburgh Council – North East Locality, 101 Niddrie Mains Rd, Edinburgh, EH16 4DS – Tel: 0131 469 3926 – Northeast.transport@edinburgh.gov.uk

Please note: all correspondence should be sent to Northeast.transport@edinburgh.gov.uk

Tram Diversion Route Resurfacing Work – Revised Programme

(from an email from Edinburgh Council, time-stamped Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 15:51)

I write to provide an update to my ongoing carriageway resurfacing programme in and around Leith prior to the commencement of the work to extend the tram to Newhaven.

Works on site at Pilrig Street junction, Dalmeny Street and East London Street are due to complete at the end of next week (Friday 12 July) after which time the main contractor has a company recess for 2 weeks.

On returning to site on the 29 July, the work to redesign the junction at Duke Street and Easter Road will fully commence (some preparatory work will take place next week) while the majority of work ongoing elsewhere will be predominantly carriageway resurfacing work.

To this effect, please find below a basic table detailing the proposed locations, dates and traffic management for the resurfacing work and I have also attached the full programme in the form of a Gantt chart. I will caveat this and remind everyone that dates are approximate as any delays can have a knock on effect, however the order of work should remain the same and I will update EdinTravel as works progress.

I will also explain that the programme has extended due to additional work being requested and some issues on site with traffic signal installations however the main resurfacing work should throw up little in the way of unforeseen delays and there will be no further additional work included in the programme unless it is deemed important and we create space in the existing programme. We also remain in full contact with the team leading the Tram extension with regards their preparatory work and start date.

As before, residents and traders will receive notices prior to the start of work in their area with more specific details, and I will forward a copy of these notices on as appropriate. If you have any queries or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Month Date (Duration) Location Time Proposed Traffic Management
July 9 (2 days) East London Street Day Road Closure
29 (7 days) North Leith Sands Day Road Closure
29 (35 days) Duke Street R’about Redesign Day Retain roundabout as long as possible
August 7 (5 days) Great Junction Street Day Southbound loop using Henderson?
7 (9 days) Duncan Place Day Road Closure
8 (21 days) Links Place Traffic Islands Day Road Narrowing
15 (4 days) Gordon Street Day Road Closure
20 (3 days) Ocean Drive Day Road Closure.1 side at a time.
20 (12 days) Pilrig Street Day Road Closure in 2 phases
26 (6 days) Annandale Street Day Road Closure
September 2 (12 days) Bonnington Road Night Road Closure in 2 phases
9 (5 days) Broughton Street Night Road Closure
18 (12 days) Newhaven Road Night Road Closure in 2 phases
20 (21 days) Easter Road Night Phased road closures, road narrowing
October 10 (12 days) Broughton Road Night Road Closure in 2 phases
17 (2 days) East Hermitage Pl Junction Night 3 phase TTL’s – Close Links Gdns
28 (5 days) Portland Place Night Eastbound Closure using Ocean Drive
28 (10 days) Links Place Night Road Closure in 2 phases
November 4 (6 days) Academy Street Night Road closure, Duke St eastbound closure

Kind regards

Steven Blacklaw ¦ Engineer – Transport Design & Delivery
Place ¦ Planning & Transport ¦ The City of Edinburgh Council ¦ G4, Waverley Court, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh EH8 8BG
Tel 0131 529 3252 steven.blacklaw@edinburgh.gov.uk

LHNCC minutes May 2019

Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council ordinary meeting, held at Leith Community Centre on Tuesday 28 May 2019 at 6:30pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. Nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against an item.

In the chair’s absence, the meeting was chaired by Elaine Dick.

1 Introductions and apologies for absence

1.a Present

Stewart Auld LHNCC Douglas Tharby LHNCC treasurer PC Chris Smith Police Scotland
Elaine Dick LHNCC vicechair Bruce Ryan Minutes secretary Duncan Bremner Citizen Curator
Jennifer Marlborough LHNCC secretary Cllr Adam McVey Leith ward 1 resident/visitor

1.b Apologies

Don Giles LHNCC Arthur Young LHNCC Cllr Gordon Munro Leith ward
Rob Levick LHNCC chair Cllr Chas Booth Leith ward Deidre Brock MP Edinburgh North & Leith

2 Minutes of previous meeting

Approved without changes (proposed D Tharby, seconded S Auld, nem con)

3 Matters arising

Item 11b (R Levick to contact Fort Ports about Rennie’s bridge closure) is held over due to his absence.

4 Police Report

PC Smith reported

  • The speeding motorists mentioned in the April meeting were probably not ‘boy-racers’. This will be confirmed later.
    • There are now roadworks where the speed-camera van had been stationed.
  • Operation Contrition (high visibility patrols in northwest Leith against antisocial behaviour [ASB]) continue.
  • Police have been visiting the Dean & Coven Trust hostel over ASB and missing persons, to build rapport.
  • There was a block security/crime prevention meeting with Western Harbour residents. The police are happy with the current precautions but referred them to the prevention/intervention partnership.
  • Police are visiting the Citadel youth club due to youth ASB at Ocean Terminal and the lighthouse at Western Harbour.
  • There are police surgeries at Ocean Terminal, every 3rd Saturday, 12-2pm
  • Police will be the gala at Victoria primary school on Saturday.
  • There has been a spate of bike-thefts at Rennie’s Isle, Ocean Terminal, Portland Gardens, Pier Place, ASDA (Sandpiper Drive).
  • There is a bike-marking event at Victoria Quay on Monday 17 June (12:00 to 2pm) for both the public and civil servants.
  • An incident of dog-stealing was due to a argument between two residents. Other residents need not worry about their dogs.
  • The police will receive water-safety training from the coastguard and PC Clark on 5 June. (This is not for the public.)
  • There have been complaints about cannabis-smoking at Annfield and Western Harbour, but these have been dealt with.

4.a Questions and comments

  • It was noted that 101 calls are currently not free but may soon become free.
  • Will the Ocean Terminal remodelling include action to deter boy-racers?
    • PC Smith had no information on this.
  • It was noted that there were speed-cameras on Commercial St the previous week, concerning bus lanes.
    • PC Smith sated that this was not a police action
  • There was a report of damage to railings in Newhaven, according to a member of Forth Ports.
  • It was noted that many Just Eat bikes have been removed. PC Smith says he has recovered a number of these bikes.

5 Reports

5.a Treasurer

  • Current balance £633·90.
  • Action: D Tharby to prepare accounts for AGM (June meeting).

5.b Secretary

J Marlborough reported

  • Concerning the new ‘empowering communities fund‘, it is felt by Leith CCs that this is too close to what LeithChooses does. Also, Leith CCs feel it is too complex, and has too short notice for them to take on this year. J Marlborough has passed on information to Heart of Newhaven and Bare Branding.
  • Money is available via Scottish Heritage and the Customs House to produce a Leith heritage strategy plan. (JM is a member of the Leith Civic Trust; LCT’s chair will chair creation of this plan.) JM is collating document for CEC and Forth Ports.
    • It was queried whether this would link to the steel shed question. JM has only just started this work so could not say.

6 Councillors’, MSP’s and MP’s reports

6.a Cllr McVey

  • He reported about closure of The Shore. CEC challenged local businesses to arrange an event together. Other CEC officers are putting ideas together. Events are needed to justify any closure. Without these, the road would just be closed during the Jazz and Blues festival.

7 Planning update

See also LHNCC planning page.

7.a Cala: Waterfront Plaza (affordable block F) 16/03684/FUL

JM noted that the block of affordable flats is to be built by Crudens & Heart: work starts in autumn 2019. Cala has finished the necessary utility work.

7.b Save Leith Walk

J Marlborough reported

8 CCTT (Community Councils Together on Trams)

J Marlborough reported

  • The next monthly CCTT meeting with the trams team is on 29 May. The main contractor will also attend.
    • Action: B Ryan to provide précises of CCTT/TT meetings for CC websites.
  • She has received complaints from Constitution St residents about lack of notice of its closure.
    • The trams team had assured CCTT that the contractor would do isolated boreholes, but the road would not be closed.
    • The contractor has apologised and stated that this work will not cause major issues. However, residents fear that the road will remain closed.
  • There will be major roadworks in the summer to prepare for tram work. See website post 1 and post 2 for details.
    • There have already been complaints about the Duke St roundabout becoming a signalised junction, and about closure of bus stops on Easter Rd without notice.

9 Local events & feedback

See also LHNCC ‘other work’ page.

9.a Heart of Newhaven (formerly Newhaven Project)

J Crabb reported

  • Heart of Newhaven (HoN) intends to purchase the current Victoria Primary School (once its replacement is operating) to create a heritage and community centre.
    • HoN is just about to call for tenders for a feasibility study. The results of this study state how much HoN should pay for the school, and should enable HoN to apply for Scottish Land Fund funding for this purchase.
      • Although Local Authorities are able to set ‘peppercorn’ rents for such community asset transfers, CEC has set a purchase price of £800,000 for the school. HoN is investigating how it could persuade CEC to reduce this price.
    • Introducing Newhaven Walks: stand at Volunteering Event at Leith Community Centre and at other events to raise profile
    • There have been two public meetings
      • In October 2018, asset transfer was proposed, and there was blue-sky thinking about how to use the buildings.
      • At this point, work was led by Newhaven Heritage. However, a more widely representative group was needed, so HoN was set up at an open meeting January 2019, specifically to acquire the school. There is a wide range of local groups on HoN’s steering committee.
    • More detailed community consultation is needed, but so far three themes have emerged: (i) culture and heritage; (ii) learning & enterprise; (iii) community well-being
      • Running through all of these is the theme of ‘intergenerational practice’. Planning Aid Scotland has much experience.
    • The foreseeable timetable is
      • July – appoint consultants
      • July to November – consultation and delivery of feasibility study
      • December – apply to CEC for asset transfer
      • June 2020 – CEC decides, then apply to SLF for purchase price
      • July 2020 – SLF’s decision
      • November 2020- purchase, if the school is available at this point
    • The main concern with this timetable is that the SLF funds end in March 2021.
    • Ways to fund on-going maintenance will be answered in the feasibility study.

9.b EBUG public meeting

J Marlborough reported

  • The group was recently constituted at its first public meeting. This was well attended but the planned main speaker (chair of Lothian Buses) didn’t attend.
  • The meeting was lively, with much discussion of the new 11 and 16 buses. These buses only have one space for baby buggies and wheelchairs. Other issues were noted, e.g. noisy air-conditioning.
  • Questions were raised – these are to be answered by relevant people.
  • Committee members now have tasks. JM may share hers with C Brown.
  • Other topics included shelters that don’t provide shelter, stops, how buses will fit with trams, integrated ticketing, signage.
  • EBUG’s website is in progress.

10 CEC and Scottish Government information and consultations

See also LHNCC events page

10.a Edinburgh partnership review outcomes

  • The initial meeting of the Leith Neighbourhood Network is on 30 May, 6.00pm-8.00pm, at the Kirkgate café.
  • Action: D Tharby and J Marlborough to report in June.
  • D Bremner suggested that the Edinburgh localities model has no community buy-in, so many groups have been invited.

10.b CEC community council scheme review: final phase

This is online at CEC’s consultation hub.It closes 3 June 2019.

10.c Scottish Government: Energy Efficient Scotland: https://consult.gov.scot/better-homes-division/energy-efficient/

  • This closes 17 June 2019
  • D Giles noted (via JM) CEC’s corporate policy and strategy meeting on carbon emissions. He asked whether CEC planning will be pressured to ensure environmentally-friendly developments. He noted that Edinburgh’s high buildings exacerbate issues.
  • Cllr McVey responded that CEC is trying to act in many ways, via planning, treatment of existing buildings etc. CEC is working towards 0 emissions over the next 11 years. This may necessitate not using gas heating or cooking.
    • CEC will aim for passive houses, although industry cannot provide these just now.
    • Big developments can have their own district heating schemes.
    • Small developments in Sherrifhall and Shawfair can use heat from the Millerhill waste plant.
    • There will need to be increased use of trams, bikes, carbon offset via trees.
    • CEC is building towards an action plan to achieve zero carbon by 2030 deadline (2037 drop-deadline).
  • B Ryan asked if it is possible to install double-glazing in listed buildings.
    • Cllr McVey stated that there are relevant products but could not comment on their effectiveness and legality.

10.d Scottish Governmentshort-term lets consultation: https://consult.gov.scot/housing-services-policy-unit/short-term-lets

  • This closes 19 July 2019
  • J has received a communication from PLACE Edinburgh, which is concerned about numbers of short-tem lets.
  • She has also received a communication about key-boxes being put on fences on Lindsay Rd. Key-boxes had previously been put in the development but these had been removed.
    • S Auld added that Platinum Point Plat owners are also getting key-boxes removed. He thanked CEC for its help.
    • There was concern that key-boxes to enable carers to access clients’ properties would be caught in such actions.
    • Cllr McVey stated that current LA powers are very cumbersome. CEC created recommendations for the Scottish Government in August 2018. The First Minister stated in March that it would consult on these recommendations. He asked LHNCC and its members to respond to the consultation
      • Action: J Marlborough to share information with LHNCC members; members to email their points to JM.

10.e Leith festival (8 June)

  • Action: E Dick to create banner, generic flyer, info sheet on LHNCC and a ‘LHNCC needs you’ flyer for the elections.
  • D Tharby and J Marlborough will be there all day.
  • Other volunteers were requested; also for the Volunteer fair on 7 June.

11 AOCB

11.a Request from PLACE Edinburgh group regarding short term lets

See item 10.d above

11.b Query from business owner regarding garages on Coatfield Lane

There was no discussion of this topic.

11.c Leith proposals map: possible dates 21 September, 5 October

D Bremner reported that this map is to help with local place plans (LPPs). LPPs may give opportunities for CCs to state how they would do development differently, and difficulties with development. It may also affect the City Plan.

11.d Steel shed

D Bremner reported that the distillery hopes to receive planning permission by the end of May. This means the shed is likely to be cut up. Ocean Terminal is willing to store the parts for 12 months. The distillery is happy to gift the shed to the ‘people of Leith’. It has no architectural legal protection because it was moved illegally. DB has spoken to the Architectural Heritage Fund about getting funds for scoping new sites and/or reconstruction. Historic Environment Scotland supports this.

11.e Swans

J Marlborough reported that a dead female has been floating in the Water of Leith for over a week. RSPCA, RSPB, Wildlife Scotland, Leith Conservation Trust, CEC and the police all denied responsibility. Eventually LCT tried to retrieve the carcass but it was stuck under a bridge. It was eventually retrieved, and attempts are being made to find out why it died. JM also noted that the carcass was put in a bin, but that this has not been uplifted.

12 Date of next meeting

AGM: Tuesday 25 June 2019

Short-term lets consultation events

From an email from Edinburgh Council

There is a programme of Short Term Let Consultation events (first in Inverness on Tuesday).  A good chance to air local views on short term lets/ Air B&B/ absent landlords etc.

Residents, hosts, businesses, local authorities and anyone with an interest are encouraged to attend all of these events.

The events are free to attend and are on the following dates:

Booking link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/scottish-government-21605263546

Chris Peggie | Governance Officer | Democracy, Governance & Resilience: Governance | Strategy & Communications | Chief Executive | The City of Edinburgh Council | Business Centre 2:1 | Waverley Court, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh, EH8 8BG | 0131 529 4494chris.peggie@edinburgh.gov.uk |www.edinburgh.gov.uk

 

LHNCC agenda: June 2019

AGENDA– Ordinary Meeting

1. Introductions, apologies

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting

3. Matters arising

4. Police Report

5. Reports: Secretary and Treasurer

6. Councillors/MSP/MP Report/s

7. Planning Update (circulated)

(also available on LHNCC planning page)

7.a S1: Skyliner. Ref. No: 19/02778/FUL

2nd application (previous 18/00846/FUL)

7.b Baltic St:

William Muir from Sundial Properties is hoping to submit a FUL application in the next couple of months.

8. CCTT (Community Councils Together on Trams)

Next meeting 27 June, Contractor to be in attendance – tbc

9. Local events & feedback

Updates available on LHNCC ‘other work’ page

9.a Newhaven Gala Day: 1 June 2019

Feedback

9.b Volunteer Fair, Leith Community Education Centre: 7 June 2019

Feedback

9.c Leith Festival Gala Day: 8 June 2019

Feedback

10. CEC and Scottish Government Information and consultations

detail available on LHNCC events page

10.a CEC Edinburgh Partnership Review Outcomes

  • Neighbourhood Networks, Thursday 30 May, 6.00pm-8.00pm. Feedback
  • Tbc joint meeting with LLCC, LCCC and representatives from the three NE VSFs (Voluntary Sector Forum) to address issues

10.b CEC Edinburgh Community Council Scheme Review Final Phase schedule

  • 27 June 2019:Report to Council, and subject to approval, publication of final draft amended Scheme and further four-week Consultation
  • 22 August 2019: Report to Council to approve final Scheme
  • October 2019: Final Scheme to be for CC Elections and CC Term

10.c Scot. Govt. Short-term lets

10.d CC Elections 31 October 2019

  • CEC: CC Elections 2019 Briefing note attached
  • Our proposals for campaign – suggestions

11. AOCB

12. Date of next meeting:

Tuesday 27 August 2019

 

AGENDA– AGM 8.00pm

1. Welcome, introductions and apologies

2. Approval of the Minutes of the 2018 AGM

3. Annual Report, Chairman

4. Secretary’s Annual Report

5. Treasurer’s report: accounts for FY18/19 (to be ratified)

6. Date of next AGM:

Tuesday 23 June 2020

COMMUNITY COUNCIL ELECTIONS 2019 – BRIEFING NOTE FOR COMMUNITY COUNCILLORS

See online version: https://lhncc.org.uk/2019/06/15/calling-all-potential-and-current-community-councillors/