LHNCC October minutes

Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council meeting, held at the Leith Community Education Centre on Tuesday 22 October 2019 at 7pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. Nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against an item.

Items 1 and 2 were chaired by Cllr Adam McVey, returning officer for LHNCC’s 2019 elections.

1 Introductions and apologies for absence

1.1 Present

Stewart Auld LHNCC Arthur Young LHNCC
Colin Brown LHNCC Bruce Ryan Minutes secretary
Elaine Dick LHNCC PC Chris Smith Police Scotland
Rob Levick LHNCC Cllr Chas Booth Leith ward
Don Giles LHNCC/FOWL.b Cllr Adam McVey Leith ward
Jennifer Marlborough LHNCC 3 residents/visitors
Douglas Tharby LHNCC

1.2 Apologies

Deidre Brock MP Edinburgh North & Leith Cllr Gordon Munro Leith ward

2 CC elections 2019 results

2.1 Membership of LHNCC

Cllr McVey announced that the following are voting members of LHNCC:

  • Elected members: Stewart Auld, Colin Brown, Elaine Dick, Rob Levick, Jennifer Marlborough, Douglas Tharby, Arthur Young
  • Representatives of local interest groups: Don Giles, for Friends of Water of Leith Basins

2.2 Request to nominate Neil Tulloch as co-opted member

It was noted that Mr Tulloch is a recently retired solicitor.

  • Decision: co-option decision held over until November.

2.3 Election of office-bearers

There was only one nomination for each post.

Role Nominee(s) Proposer(s) Seconder(s) Result
Chair Douglas Tharby Arthur Young Jennifer Marlborough elected nem con
Vicechair Elaine Dick Douglas Tharby Stuart Auld elected nem con
Secretary Jennifer Marlborough Elaine Dick Douglas Tharby elected nem con
Treasurer Douglas Tharby Don Giles Steward Auld elected nem con
Engagement officer No election: Cllr McVey advised that this role is not mandatory.

Bruce Ryan was reappointed nem con as minutes secretary and webweaver.

Action: B Ryan to update LHNCC website, email addresses and emailing lists.

At this point, Douglas Tharby took over chairing the meeting.

3 Minutes of previous meeting

Accepted as is (proposed S Auld, seconded Arthur Young, nem con)

4 Matters arising

All covered in following agenda items

5 Police report

PC Smith reported

  • Special constables patrolled Ocean Terminal and environs, and Guardhouse Parade, last weekend due to school holidays.
  • Police gave a talk on internet safety to girl guides in Duke St.
  • Police visited licences premises due to reports of lock-ins etc, but found no issues.
  • Police visited the Citadel youth club, to advise about crime-prevention.
  • The Leith open-doors day, staffed in part by Police Scotland youth volunteers, was successful, netting ~ 800 visitors.
  • Police met with the poverty commission, who asked police about their experiences with poverty.
  • There was a police surgery at Ocean Terminal on Saturday, where police inter alia handed out leaflets about ‘free stuff’.
  • Police worked on reports of a person driving while disqualified, leading to the person’s car being seized.
  • A person subject to a return-to-prison warrant was apprehended, and is now back in prison for 3 years.
  • Implementation of a misuse-of-drugs warrant in Portland St recovered nothing, but presumably disrupted this activity.
  • Roads police apprehended a person for drug-driving.
  • Forthcoming activities include
    • Operation Crackle, patrolling about bonfires, will happen during 1 to 5 November.
    • There will be a community safety talk to P7 pupils at Leith Victoria primary school.

5.1 Questions and answers

  • D Tharby: Can cycling proficiency training be given in LHNCC’s area, is it is in other areas?
    • Action: PC Smith will look into this.
  • C Brown: Is it possible that fireworks will be banned?
    • Many shops no longer sell them. PC Smith currently knows of no complaints of misuse, but is aware that people can be silly.
  • D Tharby asked for resumption of reports on crime statistics.
    • C Brown added that reports should include comparisons with previous months and/or the same period in previous years.
    • Action: PC Smith will look into this.

6 Reports: secretary and treasurer

6.1 Treasurer

  • LHNCC’s bank balance is £1292·10, but two invoices (totalling £60) are yet to be paid.
  • Some near-future spending plans are covered in AOCB.

6.2 Secretary

The last 3 months have been very busy, but details are in the items below.

7 Councillors’, MSP’s and MP’s reports

7.1 Cllr McVey

  • CEC is working towards Edinburgh becoming carbon-neutral by 2030. Three reports are now available:
    • Establishing a commission to provide action-points and good practice for Edinburgh organisations
    • How Edinburgh can meet this target, including costed plans for different sectors
      • For example, getting a 50% reduction in carbon emissions would take £4 billion of investment, repaid over 7·5 years
    • immediate actions for CEC, on buildings, vehicles etc. Hence CEC is changing agreements with its ALEOs so they pursue the same target.

7.1.1 Questions and answers

  • D Giles: Is domestic heating a bigger issue than transport for this target?
    • See the city-wide report. The ‘holy grail’ is a city-wide heating system based on renewables.
    • D Giles responded that CEC planning have no choice but to accept [individual] domestic heating. When will that end?
    • Cllr McVey responded that it aims to change Edinburgh’s design guidance (EDG) and local development plan (LDP).
    • J Marlborough suggested that the new LDP will not be in place for some time.
    • Cllr Booth suggested that it is easier to change the EDP than the LDP. CEC Greens are pushing for changes.
    • J Marlborough suggested that EDP isn’t followed, citing a planning appeal decision that followed only LDP, not EDP.
    • Cllr Booth stated that while this may apply to appeals, CEC’s planning committee does take EDG into account, inter alia.
    • Hence the best route to environmental benefits is via the forthcoming LDP (‘CityPlan 2030’), and CEC greens are pushing for strong policies on new buildings’ energy efficiencies, transport (e.g. designing places to minimise travel needs).
  • B Ryan: Please explain how the investment mentioned above would lead to financial (as well as environmental) benefits.
    • Cllr McVey explained that CEC currently spends £900m on energy bills. Investing in better kit should lead to savings.
  • B Ryan: is there advice in the CEC reports on how listed buildings be changed to be more environmentally friendly?
  • J Marlborough: Will CEC approve of charges for parking at work? Can we get a direct bus route from northeast Edinburgh to the Western General hospital, to reduce traffic and parking pressures?
    • Cllr McVey responded that this needs investment into transport infrastructure, citing the example of Nottingham using such revenue to extend its tram network. Such a levy in Edinburgh might raise £8m. Neither CEC nor Glasgow council have agreed this policy. (They are the only two Scottish LAs currently considering it.) He would personally favour improvements in Edinburgh’s public transport that reduce problems stemming from private transport.
      • Hence he favours the extension of the trams to Newhaven, CEC having put the business model ‘through the wringer’.
      • J Marlborough responded that changes of bus-stops for the current tram-works are not yet sorted.
      • S Auld asked whether the report on the enquiry into the original tram-line had been published.
      • Cllr Mcvey responded that questions on this topic had been resisted by the inquiry.
    • A Young: Cladding of Western Harbour buildings has led to them being worth effectively £0. Has this happened elsewhere in Edinburgh? What can CEC do?
      • S Auld suggested that the relevant owner’s association knows most about it. He stated that this is a ‘paper’ issue, in that while this cladding is not unsafe, mortgage lenders are asking for certification that is not available in Scotland.
      • D Tharby suggested making a direct approach to CEC.
      • Cllr Booth stated that he has been aske about this by a constituent, and has taken this up with CEC officers. Andy Wightman MSP is pursuing this issue with the Scottish Government.
      • Cllr McVey stated that CEC looked into this issue very quickly after the Grenfell Tower disaster. It found, and rectified some buildings having incorrect cladding (both council owned and private).
    • D Giles: When the ‘final’ plans and contracts for the tram extension have been issued, CEC should refuse ad-hoc changes. Instead, changes should be made at the end of the construction process.

7.2 Cllr Booth

  • Tram-work has now started on Constitution St. The trams team is doing a generally ‘fantastic’ job, but there have been a few issues.
    • Hence please let the ward councillors know of any problems.
  • The planning application for 4 Sandpiper drive is going to CEC committee tomorrow, with a recommendation to approve,
    • J Marlborough expressed concern that it’s too close to a petrol station.
    • Cllr Booth responded that this was addressed in the planners’ report. Environmental health officers had found no concerns.
  • J Marlborough reported that there have been many problems with graffiti in Pier Place.
  • Action: J Marlborough to forward information to Cllr Booth.

8 Planning Update

See also LHNCC planning page.

J Marlborough reported:

8.1 S1 Skyliner (19/02778/FUL) and Forth Ports Western Harbour (19/00986/AMC & 19/01040/AMC)

Both applications were approved on 25 September 2019. LHNCC’s comment on the heights of the buildings was not considered.

8.2 South Leith Parish Church wall

Cllr Booth stated that this is not on CEC’s planning agenda for tomorrow. Hence he cannot comment on this.

8.3 LHNCC Planning committee

  • J Marlborough stated that this will meet before the next full LHNCC meeting, to consider at least two PAN applications.
  • The committee consists of J Marlborough, D Giles, A Young and S Auld.

9 CCTT (Community Councils Together on Trams)

9.1 Meeting 26 September feedback

  • J Marlborough asked about progress of the minutes of the September CCTT/trams tram (TT) meeting. B Ryan responded that they have been sent to CCTT’s spokesperson and will soon be sent to the trams team for their approval for publication.
    • Action: B Ryan to press TT for approval to publish
  • It was noted that road-resurfacing is in progress.

9.2 Newsletter

No discussion

10 Local events & feedback

See also LHNCC ‘other work’ page

J Marlborough reported:

10.1 Save Leith Walk, Community Buy Out progress meeting, Wednesday 9 October, 7:00pm- 8:30pm. Feedback

This is in progress. SLW hosted an interesting evening with Planning Advice Scotland. SLW is now involved with Save Iona St.

10.2 Leith Community Centre, Volunteer Fair: Thursday, 10 October, 4:00pm–7:00pm. Feedback

This was a good event, where J Marlborough and other attendees had many networking opportunities.

10.3 CAV Forth – Design Jam: Saturday 12 October, 10:00am–4:00pm. Feedback

  • Stagecoach is piloting a ‘level 4’ (staffed) driverless bus. Plans include testing this bus travelling from Fife to Edinburgh airport.
  • Concern was expressed that even though staff would need driving qualifications, their jobs may become degraded.
  • Also, current bus-drivers are quitting such roles because being train ticket-officers pays better.

10.4 Leith Community Centre, Free Stuff: Sat 19 & Sun 20 October, 11:00am–4:00pm.

  • M Traill reported that 763 people attended this £ lorry-loads of ‘stuff’ were available. By the end of the even, only half a van-load was left. Stories included someone whose relationship had failed being given a (material) new start.
    • It is hoped to repeat this event, hopefully in time for Christmas.

10.5 Other items

  • J Marlborough attended the Cameron Toll to Bioquarter cycle-lane event. She reported that some bus-stops may be removed. There appears to be little consideration of pedestrians, electric bikes, mobility scooters etc.
    • Cllr Booth stated that most electric bikes only assist cyclists, and so do not reach excessive speeds.
    • It was suggested that some cycle-path users travel much faster than they would on roads.
    • Action: B Ryan to disseminate this link.

10.6 Future events

The following were noted:

  • Leith Conference 26 & 27 October 11-4pm, Norton Park, Norton Park Conference Centre, Leith, Edinburgh EH7
  • SoSLeith Public Meeting, Wednesday, 30 October, 6.30pm.–9.00pm. Leith Community Centre (Café)
  • SEStran Bus Quarterly Meeting, Thursday 28 November, 10.00am-1.00pm, Victoria Quay

11 CEC and Scottish Government Information and consultations

See also LHNCC events and consultations page

Action: LHNCC members to individually respond to the following consultations

11.1 The strategic plan for 2019-2022 agreed at the Edinburgh Integration Joint Board in August 2019 Strategic plan 2019-22

11.2 Crown Estate Scotland draft 2020-23 Corporate Plan Consultation

This closes 25 November 2019.

11.3 CEC: 2020/21 Budget Consultation

This closes 30 November 2019

11.4 CEC: City Plan 2030: Choices for City Plan consultation

This will run from 9 December 2019 to 28 February 2020. There will be a public event: 11am to 3pm on Saturday 18 January 2020 at Ocean Terminal.

12 CEC Edinburgh Partnership

12.1 £eithChooses

D Giles and D Tharby noted that £eithChooses support sessions will be

  • Wednesday 30 October 2019 (McDonald Road, downstairs business hub)
  • Wednesday 27 November 2019 (McDonald Road, downstairs business hub)

Both are ‘drop in’ between 3 pm and 7:30 pm. Extra sessions can be arranged.

Entries should be submitted on or before 6 January 2020 (before Christmas if possible).

The £C theme this year is ‘fighting hunger and/or loneliness’.

12.2 Neighbourhood Networks update

D Tharby reported

  • 17 organisations attended the last Leith NN meeting. The NN wishes to build on this.
  • The Northeast Edinburgh Community Planning Partnership’s initial meeting was on 30 September. Its chair is Rachel Green.
    D Tharby and Geoff Pearson (Northfield & Willowbrae CC) are vice-chairs. It will meet next on 5 December.

  • The main Edinburgh community planning partnership board is due to meet in December.

13 AOCB

13.1 Christmas lights

D Tharby noted that in previous years, LHNCC has contributed to the school Christmas Lights switch-on. (LHNCC has not yet been approached this year.) In previous years, LHNCC has funded Santa’s sack, the lights and first-aid cover. at a total of ~£500. However, LHNCC cannot now afford this, so D Tharby suggested it can afford to fund Santa’s sack (~£250).

  • C Brown suggested approaching local supermarkets, but D Tharby’s marketing experience is that they have very little promotional allowances (maybe ~£100 per year).
  • Decision: LHNCC will fund Santa’s sack only.
  • Action: D Tharby to advise the school of LHNCC’s position asap
  • Action: S Auld to look into obtaining supplies from CostCo and other cash-and-carries if possible.

13.2 Briefings for new CC members

D Tharby noted that CEC is organising briefing sessions for new CC members. He plans to attend one.

  • Action: J Marlborough to circulate details.
  • Action: all LHNCC members to consider attending, then let Jennifer know of their decision

13.3 Remembrance wreath-laying

J Marlborough noted that she will lay a commemorative wreath on LHNCC’s behalf.

  • Action: J Marlborough to circulate details
  • Action: LHNCC members to consider attending, then let Jennifer know of their decisions.

14 Date of next meeting:

Tuesday 26 November 2019, 7:00pm – 9:00pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.