LHNCC minutes: October 2018

Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council ordinary meeting, held at Leith Community Centre on Tuesday 23 October 2018 at 6.30pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. Nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against an item.

1 Introductions and apologies

1.a Present

Colin Brown LHNCC Arthur Young LHNCC
James Duff LHNCC Adrian Graham Leith Links CC
Don Giles LHNCC/FOWLB Cllr Chas Booth Leith ward
Rob Levick NTBCC chair PC Lauren Mitchell Police Scotland
Jennifer Marlborough LHNCC secretary 2 residents/visitors
Douglas Tharby LHNCC treasurer

1.b Apologies

Elaine Dick LHNCC Cllr Adam McVey Leith ward Deidre Brock MP Edinburgh North & Leith
Bruce Ryan Minutes secretary Cllr Gordon Munro Leith ward

2 Minutes of previous meeting

Approved without changes (proposed D Tharby, seconded J Duff, nem con)

3 Matters arising

It was noted that Leith Links CC is also pressing (via the Edinburgh Bus User Group) for the 21 bus route to go via/to the Western General hospital.

4 Police report

It was noted that community police officers (CPOs) had supplied information on their surgeries for LHNCC’s newsletter.

Break-ins at Stevedore Place and the chapel at Leith hospital were noted. The latter led to a car-theft.

PC Mitchell reported

  • Total number of ‘boy-racer’ incidents reported in 2017: Ocean Drive: 15 (11 in Sept 2018, 1 in Aug 2018, 1 in Feb 2018, 2 in Oct 2017); Stevedore Place: 2 (both in Sept 18). Only two number plates were provided by callers in these calls.
    • Actions taken: engagement with 2 groups of ‘boy-racers’ carried out. These groups were warned about revving/racing, calls received and complaints. They were warned of increased road checks and antisocial behaviour orders (ASBOs) being given to offending vehicles/drivers.
    • ‘Boy-racers’ congregate at Ocean Terminal (OT) because it’s an enclosed area protected from the elements, and because no other multi-storey car parks in Edinburgh and the Lothians are open 24 hours.
    • A briefing note has been submitted to local officers requesting checks of car-park during nightshifts (22:00 to 07:00 hours), and to feed back details of cars found loitering to Leith CPOs.
    • OT security staff have been asked to pay attention to the area of car park where ‘boy racers’ congregate, and to feed back details of cars loitering here during evenings (22:00 to 07:00) to Leith CPOs.
    • Letters are being issued to registered owners of cars known to frequent OT, warning of ASB and repercussions.
  • A resident observed that that boy-racer issues had reduced recently.
  • A regular road check was carried out on Sat 13th Oct, when no ‘boy racers’were present. 1 motorist (not a ‘boy-racer’) was stopped re noisy car. CPOs aim to carry out such checks if possible during cover-shifts, to deter ASB driving.
  • PC Mitchell has asked for speed-bumps, but this has not been implemented so far.
  • A recent day of action netted 11 drivers whose car-tax had expired. This action will be repeated, not least to counter bonfire-night related issues, e.g. fireworks in exhaust-pipes. Various abandoned cars were reported by LHNCC members
  • Collating information from security staff and patrolling CPOs, if calls are received when checks have been made, can potentially identify cars causing ASB, and hence deal with drivers appropriately (ASB warnings/reporting for traffic offences).

J Marlborough reported that recently she was not automatically given an incident number when phoning about speeding.

  • PC Mitchell responded that all such calls receive incident numbers, and recommended that calls ask for such numbers.

C Brown asked about people cycling on pavements. PC Mitchell responded that she does issue tickets for such offences.

Action: PC Mitchell(and/or other CPOs) to report on further action against this danger

5 Office-bearers’ reports

5.a Treasurer

D Tharby reported:

  • Current balance is £1409·79
  • 2017-2018 accounts have now been audited, and are ready to be signed by the chair, then forwarded to CEC.
  • It would be desirable to formally write a thank-you letter to the auditor. (agreed nem con)

5.b Secretary

  • J Marlborough displayed a photo of the wreath LHNCCC will lay at the WW1 centenary Remembrance Service. LHNCC also ordered wreaths for future annual events: Quintinshill (May 25th) and Remembrance (November 11th). There was discussion of messages for the card accompanying the wreath: a leading suggestion was ‘Lest we forget’.
  • JM also noted that work on the Cala development has now started. She has been contacted by the official responsible for naming streets. Some potential names, e.g. of Leith-related soldiers and suffragettes have been suggested. JM also suggested naming a street to commemorate Leith docks, Quintinshill, names of Leith-built ships. C Brown asked to be involved in this discussion with the officials.
    • Action: JM to email this official with her suggestions, CCing Leith ward councillors.
    • JM noted that LHNCC membership numbers are fine – for now.

6 Councillors’, MSP’s and MP’s reports

6.a Cllr Booth

  • He noted that the final decision on the extension of the tram-line to Newhaven has been put back to March 2019.
  • There is a ‘stand up to racism’ rally and march on Saturday 27 October, moving from Pilrig Park to the Gurdwara.
  • There are Edinburgh bike-hire docks at Victoria Quay and elsewhere. He has suggested that OT should also have a dock.
    • There was concern over cycle-hire prices.
  • J Marlborough asked about over-grown gardens and other issues at Hamburg Place. Action: cllr Booth to chase this up.
  • R Levick asked about public artwork that was been painted over this evening. Action: cllr Booth to chase this up.
  • A Graham asked for current numbers of bus-users, and projected numbers if/when trams have been installed. Cllr Booth responded that this is difficult because trams are not subject to FOI. Action: cllr Booth to chase this up, if possible.
  • It was noted that relevant residents and JM will attend the forthcoming Licensing Board hearing about the MV Fingal. Cllr Booth advised how the hearing was likely to run.

7 Planning Update

See also https://lhncc.org.uk/planning. J Marlborough reported that CEC’s planning portal will be down from 1 to 7 Nov 2018.

7.a 17/03194/FUL: MV Fingal

See item 6a, final point, above.

7.b 18/07468/PAN: 5 Baltic Street

  • There will be a public consultation on 31 October at the Malmaison hotel (15:00 to 21:00).
  • JM noted that LHNCC and Leith Links CC have met with developers, and said there was a full, explanatory presentation.
  • A Graham noted that there is potentially much contamination on this site.

7.c 18/08206/FUL: Bath Road (Salamander Street)

  • JM noted that the closing date for submissions will be 14 November because CEC’s planning portal will be down for about a week, and that affordable housing would be very well integrated. There would be 212 units, including both affordable and private houses, parking spaces for residents, including disabled spaces, electric charging points and car-club spaces.
  • She has asked for a presentation, but developers would prefer a delegation from LHNCC and LLCC – they suggested later in 2018 or early 2019.
  • Action: LHNCC to submit letter of support

7.d 17/05415/FUL: Great Junction Street

This application has been approved. D Giles asked about green-space standards – apparently the cemetery counts towards GS. The developers have asked whether LHNCC would like to see the approved plans. Conditions include renovating the cinema etc, before demolition of other parts can take place. Because the buildings are in a parlous state, further changes to plans are needed, resulting in need for a further application.

8 CCTT (Community Councils Together on Trams) update

See item 9a below.

9 Events and feedback

See also https://lhncc.org.uk/events.

9.a Newhaven Tram

See also item 6a (point 1) above.

JM has attended all three consultation events. She noted that the Tram Team members now dealing with the issues she has raised about Ocean Drive roundabout (Melrose Drive/Ocean Drive/Victoria Quay) becoming a traffic-light controlled junction (e.g. lack of access to her development, and inability for buses at Ocean Terminal Terminus (North) to turn and travel south from Ocean Point (Great Junction Street/Commercial Street/Lindsay Road Junction). Tram Team is in discussion with Lothian Buses to address this.

She also noted that the consultation ends on 11 November 2018. Action: everyone to respond to the consultation.

Various deficiencies in the current plans were discussed.

9.b Victoria Primary School

JM reported that the Newhaven Heritage meeting at the school was very well attended. There were two excellent speakers on Community Buyout procedures followed by workshops. The next step is to establish a Steering Group to take matters forward.

A resident spoke about how the project could be taken forward, and the scale of the project, and the need for inclusion.

9.c Victoria Primary School christmas lights

Action: D Tharby to contact VPS regarding our input and support

Action: R Levick to contact former member of LHNCC who used to manage this.

10 Other work

See alsohttps://lhncc.org.uk/lhnccs-other-work.

10.a WW1 Commemoration, 10/11/18

JM noted that a wreath has been ordered for this

10.b Licensing Consultation

JM noted that LHNCC’s response was submitted 5/10/18

10.c Leith Neighbourhood Partnership meeting 27/9/18

D Tharby attended this. He reported that there was an update on Leith Chooses, and briefly described the PB festival (including the LC video) that was mentioned at the NP meeting. He also noted the recent report on alcohol overprovision in Leith. DT will report further when the NP meeting minutes are published.

JM noted that she will attend a meeting on the powers of community councils, as did D Giles.

10.d Autumn Newsletter

Action: all LHNCC members to visit LHNCC website and sign up for the newsletter, and encourage others to do so.

11 AOCB

  • There will be a tour of Seafield sewage works on 10 November (10:00). Action: those interested to contact Jim Scanlon of LLCC
  • Friends of Water of Leith Basin AGM is on 24 October Malmaison Hotel, 7:30pm.
  • JM spoke on behalf of a resident’s request for support about Lidl’s planning application to extend delivery hours. This resident and others are concerned that the extension has led to extra noise issues.
    • Action: LHNCC to submit objection

12 Date of next meeting

Tuesday 27 November 2018

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.