LHNCC November 2021 minutes

MInutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council ordinary meeting, held via MS Teams, on Tuesday 23 November 2021 at 6:30pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. Nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against an item.

1 Introductions and apologies for absence

1.a Present

Stewart Auld LHNCC Neil Tulloch LHNCC Bill Rodger Trinity CC
Don Giles LHNCC Arthur Young LHNCC Alec Orr Orbit
Jennifer Marlborough LHNCC Cllr Chas Booth Leith ward David Wilson Orbit
Jim Preacher LHNCC Cllr Adam McVey Leith ward Colin Smith Turley
Douglas Tharby LHNCC Bruce Ryan minutes secretary ~5 residents/visitors

1.b Apologies for absence

Elaine Dick LHNCC Deidre Brock MP Edinburgh North & Leith
Cllr Gordon Munro Leith ward PC Chris Casselden Police Scotland
Ben Macpherson MSP Edinburgh Northern and Leith

2 Declaration of interests

J Marlborough is a member of SOS Leith (item 8.d.iii, about sewage)

3 Minutes of October 2021 meeting

Accepted as-is (proposed J Marlborough, seconded D Tharby, nem con)

4 Matters arising

Al covered below

5 Police Report

See text of report in Appendix 1, or PDF on LHNCC website

  • The numbers of calls about ‘public nuisance’ and ‘concern for missing persons’ seemed to be high. It was noted that there is always a pre-Christmas surge in housebreaking, and that there was the same number of public nuisance calls in Trinity.
  • Abstraction to Christmas markets prevented PC Casselden from attending this meeting.
  • N Tulloch: police seemed more visible recently (including officers from England, for CoP26). This may have had impact.

6 Councillor/MSP/MP reports

6.a Cllr McVey

  • I apologise for not attending recent meetings, due to clashes with other commitments.
  • Tram work is going well. Final details are now being finished. Fencing is being removed on Constitution St, leading to return of some public realm.
  • There has been progress on the Ocean Terminal proposals.
  • I am working with the relevant CEC officer about a public meeting, but there are constraints due to this being a TRO processes. I am aware that there are concerns about design and integration with trams.

6.b Cllr Booth

  • I am happy to forward concerns about the CPZ to CEC, but it would be helpful if change-requests are specific and concise.
  • CEC has been addressing the implications of Sean Bell enquiry. It appears that most incidents were domestic. The next full council meeting will look into potential responses to the report.

7 Chair, Secretary and Treasurer reports

7.a Chair

See full report in appendix 2

  • I attended Trinity CC’s meeting, including a presentation by the head of Trinity Academy on changes to the building.
  • On 2021_11_11, J Marlborough and I laid a wreath on behalf of all Leith CCs.
  • On 2021_11_21, I attended a service commemorating the 77th Year of the Scottish Service for Seafarers.
  • This is LHNCC’s last meeting in 2021. A lot has happened this year!

7.b Secretary

See links in appendix 3 (secretary’s report)

  • There is a drop-in vaccination centre at Ocean Terminal, open until 9pm. it also delivers booster vaccinations.
  • There are currently many consultations – see my report.

7.c Treasurer

Current bank balance £689·78

8 Standing reports

8.a Planning

8.a.i Hemmingway’s – LRB decision: refused

  • J Marlborough: the application did not include the structures covered by LHNCC’s objection.
    • Cllr Booth: the decision is ‘refuse and enforce’. The owners can now obey this decision or submit a new application.
    • Actions: Cllr Booth to check with CEC officers for latest position, J Marlborough to share this with LHNCC members.
  • JM: LHNCC submitted a ‘breach of planning’ complaint because of the Granary’s new garish colours. The Granary has now applied to have more muted colours.

8.a.ii Crosslane: Residential Servised Living. Ocean Point 2 – Presentation

See presentation slides on LHNCC website

Presentation points

  • (slide 2) Crosslane would be a high-standard residential development at Ocean Point 2.
  • It would not be a disguised student development resident = ocean point 2. It would not be a co-living development – that is a race to the bottom. Instead, it would have residents at its core, with high levels of amenity, and activities on the ground floor.
    • The target market would be millennials on fixed-term contracts. Their age profile is a key driver. However, the plans pedigree comes from student developments.
  • The site’s context is Ocean Point 1 (office scheme), Ocean Terminal, the Cala and Skyliner developments, and the trams.
  • Crosslane would provide 25% affordable housing, and a mixture of 1- 2-, 3-bedroom flats meeting national standards.
  • (slide 3) The plans are based around ‘residential serviced living’ (RSL).
  • (slide 4) There is a need for this in Leith, due to growth in employment, people choosing to rent, international working, lack of accommodation that fulfils such needs affordably and securely. It would also provide community and a sense of belonging.
  • (slide 5) RSL is between houses with multiple occupation (HMO) and Build to rent (BTR). It enables people to move on from HMO/student accommodation, and later to home ownership.
  • (slide 6) Due to modern working practices, the ground floor would have co-working amenities.
  • (slide 7). To enhance community feelings, there would be shared kitchens and dining areas. However, each resident would be able to cook in his/her own unit. It would not be a gated community or yuppie development. Local service providers would help ground the development in the community. Community: not gated, yuppie. Ground floor links to local business. Shared kitchens and dining areas to build sense of community. Every resident can also cook in own unit
  • (slide 8) the market demands a social hub, e.g. lower ground floor seating area, games room, study areas.
  • (slide 9) the community hub idea is very important, making links with local businesses and groups.
  • (slide 10) The living specifications would be very high
  • (slide 11) Wellbeing is also very important to the plans, including pastoral and mental health care.
  • (slide 12) the service offering includes all-inclusive bills and 24/7 security, and services delivered by local 3rd
  • (slide 13) the building would be managed by Crosslane, who will build and then own the development.
  • (slide 14) the following plans are work in progress.
  • (slide 15) Crosslane fits within a context of different developments.
  • (slide 16) Crosslane units would have more space than typical tenement flats.
  • (slide 17) The affordable housing meets the 25% requirement. Current location ideas are shown in the slide.
  • (slide 18) Residents would live in their flats but use the entire building, e.g. rooftop bar, shared kitchens, cafés.
  • (slide 19) The ground floor would integrate with the boardwalk, and have landscaping links and streetscaping.
  • (slide 20) Hence the development would have pedestrian routes through and around it, adding to ground-floor activity.
  • (slide 21) Hence also the public squares, adding to community
  • (slide 22) Currently, the plans have 293 units (219 RSL, 74 affordable BTR).
  • (slide 23) This slide summarises the presentation.

Q&A

  • J Marlborough: affordable housing will be run by Alex Blythe, so is CEC involved?
    • No, it will be run by Crosslane. AB is providing guidance on this. Residents of affordable units would have access to the whole facility.
  • JM: what about PBSA (purpose built student accommodation)?
    • Crosslane (the company) began in PBSA, but as the market has matured Crosslane has followed it. Residents of this development do not need to have lived in Crosslane PBSA. It’s not aimed at families.
  • JM: community developments fitting the 20-minute neighbourhood idea would be welcome in Leith. BTR does not deliver this. There is likely to be concern about the planned building heights.
  • D Giles: why is Leith ready for this?
    • It comes from the identified target market and Leith’s resurgence. Sites providing this scale and massing in Edinburgh are limited. Also, when the tram comes online, this will add to the demand. I can share market research and a needs assessment
  • JM: transients do not add to Leith’s community, heritage and culture.
  • S Auld: what will the turnover in residents be?
    • We don’t currently know, but we want people to stay and affiliate to the building and the area. We don’t want a revolving door, but a sense of community.
  • D Giles: how will heating and air-conditioning be undertaken?
    • We will aim for a high BREEAM rating, so there will be no gas or oil heating. We will consider materials and insulation.
  • N Tulloch: why not just build flats?
    • We want to bring something new to the area. There are other products nearby, e.g. Cala and BTR developments. This development is 1 of 6 that are in progress in Scotland. (The Glasgow St Vincent St plans were submitted in August. Sauchiehall St is BTR.) None are yet fully functional.
  • A Young: it is possible that building in Leith will carry on for decades. What is your timeline?
    • PAN in January 2022, planning submission late 2022, start building 2023, finish building 2025
  • A Young: what will the rent be?
    • Rent will be benchmarked against other local properties, and will include all bills. There will be no exit fees, so people will be able to move on if their circumstances change. There will be deposits, and 28 days’ notice will be needed.
  • N Tulloch: will HMO licenses be needed?
    • No – each flat will have its own private address/letterbox
  • A resident: how big will the units be?
    • Private units will be 23-25 m2 because they are single units, but will also have the shared/amenity spaces. Affordable units will meet the national standard of 36 m2, and be a mix of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms.
  • A resident: will it be ‘party central’?
    • It’s a new type of residential accommodation targeted at a specific cohort of people coming to live and work in Edinburgh, who will arrive with their eyes open and engage with the communal spaces. We are trying to be generous with space and create a community. The development will have professional, on-site management, and limits on how many people can be in each communal area.
  • J Preacher: slide 16 shows around 20 levels, but local developments have around 7. So what is the real hight?
    • That slide was indicative of typical spaces. For this development, slide 17 shows 13 levels. It lines up with Ocean Point 1, and will be no higher than the highest point of Skyliner JP. We are working with CEC on this topic.
  • JM: when will the public consultation take place?
    • After the PAN. We would prefer an in-person exhibition.

8.a.iii Seafield Project update

  • N Tulloch: nothing has happened since the last LHNCC meeting. There is a meeting with CEC officers tomorrow, and a sounding board meeting next week. It is hoped that these will get the project on the same page as CEC officers. There is some fear that CCs are being sidelined.

8.b Licensing

  • A Young: there are no significant applications

8.b.i Gambling Policy Consultation

  • A Young: LHNCC has submitted a response to this consultation.
  • D Tharby: The board must review its policies every three years. This consultation outlined the boards’ functions, and the subject is far reaching. The questionnaire was very sim0listic, but covered adult gaming centres and licensed family entertainment centres. I believe there are too many gambling opportunities and lotteries.

8.c Transport

8.c.i CEC – CPZ consultation North Leith & Leith N8

  • J Marlborough: this consultation is being run by CEC’s TRO section. LHNCC has been working with LLCC. We obtained an extension to 5 December. The maps in the consultation are 4 years out of date, and omit the trams and other current activities. LHNCC has to examine 19 tiles. We have received a number of community comments.
    • There is an argument for CPZs, but this consultation method is unhelpful. The plans would mean that police could not park outside their station. The whole area is subject to change. Then plans omit bus stops and EV charging points.
    • Action: LHNCC members to examine tiles in their own areas, after JM emails them out.

8.c.ii Community Councils Together on Trams (CCTT)

J Marlborough: there was a face-to-face meeting to examine landscaping plans. CCTT has been asking for these for some time. They must have existed for some time because landscaping work has started. The plans are dated August 2021 but only became available 3 months later. We look forward to receiving hard copies.

8.c.iii Edinburgh Bus Users Group

  • J Marlborough: EBUG will meet in December. An election hustings is being considered, to try to elicit information on post-tram bus developments. Lothian Buses has fewer passengers due to the pandemic. Also, there is much building on Salamander St, yet this has no bus services.
    • A resident: we have asked for extra bins at bus stops, but one has been removed from Portland Gardens. There is litter there every day.
    • JM: there is now a new bin on Ocean Drive, near the roundabout and Melrose Drive.

8.d Environment

8.d.i Water of Leith Conservation Trust: Coalie Park

D Giles: WOLCT has just published a final design, and is asking for feedback.

8.d.ii FOWLB

D Giles: FOWLB encourages feedback on Coallie park. It will soon hold its AGM.

8.d.iii Sewage Related Debris and the Water of Leith

A resident: a letter to Scottish Water about sewage going into the Water of Leith was co-signed by about 35 supporting organisations, from a meeting organized by Ben Macpherson MSP. We can’t comment further on this until SW has replied. The letter is on https://www.facebook.com/SOSLeith

8.e Heritage

8.e.i Leith Culture & Heritage Group

  • J Marlborough: at the last meeting, the city archaeologist spoke about finds from the tram works. CEC has much heritage material. The group would like a viewing or display of this material, but this has public safety and preservation costs. There was a local history stall at Leith Forever. A similar stall at the Custom House would be welcomed by the group.
    • A resident: can photos of the artifacts be put online?
    • JM: there are some photos on the 100 days

8.f Community

8.f.i North East Community Planning Partnership

  • D Tharby: NECPP met on 27 October. There was a presentation from Lifting Neighbourhoods Together, a community renewal project, asking what it takes to life an area out of poverty. LNT suggested that current solutions are too complex, asking people to repeat their stories to many agencies, each with its own rules. The next NECPP meeting is on 20 Jan.

8.f.ii Leith network neighbourhood

D Tharby: I plan to write to all members, to set up meeting dates, and to ask potential new members to join LNN.

8.f.iii Leith Chooses

D Giles: There is concern that there may not be sufficient applications, so the application period may be extended. Further applications are very welcome: there is over £50,000 to be disbursed.

9 Resident issues

  • J Marlborough: there is an ongoing issue at Rennie’s isle due to the tram works and poor signage: Ocean Drive is closed, so traffic ends up on Rennie’s Isle. In one instance, a double-decker bus tourist got stick and so was damaged. It was requested that a ‘No Through Road’ sign be installed
    • Action: JM to raise this at next CCTT meeting.

10 EACC

D Tharby: I will attend EACC’s AGM on Thursday of this week.

11 AOCB

  • J Marlborough: I encourage everyone to look at City Plan 2030. See the link in the agenda or I can lend a hard copy.
    • D Giles: there are many new developments in Leith but sewer capacity has not increased. LHNCC and LLCC should ask Scottish Water to undertake a proper assessment, because of the sewage going into the Water of Leith.
    • A resident: other infrastructure (schools, etc) also needs to be increased to support the new developments.
  • S Auld: Is LHNCC contributing to the Victoria Primary School Christmas as in other years.?
    • D Tharby: they’ve not asked us this year.
    • J Marlborough: we could ask Heart of Newhaven, but HoN does not know when it can access its new building.

12 Date of next meeting

Tuesday 25 January 2022

13 Appendix 1: text of police report

13.a Breakdown of calls in north Leith/Newhaven area (approx 242 in total, stats for period 24/10-18/11)

  • 25 calls relating to public nuisance
  • 3 covid-related calls
  • 7 neighbour disputes
  • 31 calls of theft/housebreaking
  • 12 domestic-related calls
  • 6 calls of other violence
  • 2 incident with hate motivation
  • 14 loud noise/music-related calls
  • 15 concern-for/missing person calls
  • 2 drug-related call

13.b Coronavirus pandemic

The Police response under Operation Talla has continued in line with the updated Government regulations:

On 9th August, all major COVID-19 restrictions were lifted; however, Government advice to stay safe includes to:

  • get the vaccine when offered
  • wear a face covering when required
  • wash your hands regularly
  • self-isolate/take a PCR test if you have symptoms
  • take regular tests if you don’t have symptoms
  • meet outside if you can, and open windows when indoors
  • keep your distance from people not in your group
  • work from home if possible

13.c Some notable actions/events/incidents:

13.c.i Bonfire night

This year there were approx 79 calls on Bonfire Night (5th November 2021) relating to fireworks and/or public disorder throughout Leith and Craigmillar. These centred around Niddrie Mains Road and The Hays.

13.c.ii Operation Urram

Between 31 October – 12 November 2021, Glasgow hosted the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26). World leaders, climate experts, business leaders and thousands of delegates came together to discuss and agree actions on how to tackle climate change on a global scale.

Operation Urram is the designated name for Police involvement in terms of security & safety for the event, with officers from across Scotland brought into Glasgow to bolster local resources. In Edinburgh and the other divisions outwith Glasgow, response teams were backfilled with community and office-based Police officers, with officers from across the UK providing a presence in case of spontaneous COP26-related incidents.

13.d Trending topics

13.d.i Shopping securely online

Watch out for suspicious email, calls and text messages. Some of the emails, posts on social media accounts or texts you receive, about amazing offers may contain links to fake websites, designed to steal your money and personal details.

13.d.ii Payment diversion fraud

Payment Diversion Fraud, also known as Business Email Compromise or Mandate Fraud, involves criminals impersonating others, creating invoices and diverting payments to bank accounts under their control. This can target both businesses and individuals.

13.d.iii Free vouchers and gift card scams

Criminals are impersonating some of the UK’s most well-known brands in emails and texts, including supermarkets, Primark, Amazon and food outlet Toby Carvery.

https://www.cyberscotland.com/october-2021 https://www.getsafeonline.org

13.e About Us

  • Local Area Commander: Chief Inspector Murray Tait
  • Leith Community Policing Team based at Leith Police Station:
    • Inspector Colin Fordyce
    • Sergeant Elaine McArthur Kerr
  • Your local Community Beat Officer for NL26 Constable Chris Casselden
  • Plus 8 officers dedicated to community issues in Leith

13.e.i Contact Us

14 Appendix 2: chair’s report

Time goes by. The tram works are progressing well with upper parts of Constitution Street almost clear of works.

Trinity Community Council meeting on Monday 8th November, a fairly lengthy but nonetheless very interesting presentation on the Trinity Academy development (do remember that our children from Victoria Primary School will all go onto this school) by Nick Burge its Headteacher. It was also interesting to to see the contrast between the Police Reports of our LHNCC and Trinity, they too have their problems with Missing Persons and Public Nuisance. We do take the lead on Theft/Housebreaking, I have come to learn that this just means that CHRISTMAS is coming up!

November 11th at 11.00 a.m. saw Secretary Jennifer Marlborough and myself at the Leith Community Treatment Centre to lay our LHNCC wreath. Thanks to the Staff and Management of the Centre for joining us and Alan and Margaret Rickman from Leith Rotary. This was a time to reflect and indeed I suppose that our attendant efforts could be considered to be on behalf of our neighbours at Leith Links and Leith Central as well.

On Sunday 21st November I attended morning worship at South Leith Parish Church for the special service commemorating the 77th Year of the Scottish Service for Seafarers. A ‘packed’ church and a service lead by Rev. Iain May. An invitation to a Reception in the South Church halls was followed at 1.30 p.m. by the Annual Wreath laying Ceremony at the memorial opposite the Malmaison Hotel at the waterfront where I was pleased to be joined by Jennifer Marlborough. Curiously enough the wreath that we laid last November was still there the day before although it was now upside down.

This will be our last meeting of 2021. It has been both a short AND long year for most of us. A lot has happened, this time last year we had the ‘promise’ of Covid vaccinations in the spring, and now many of us have had three. Our face coverings are still necessary on public transport and in shops and restaurants etc. Rising cases in Europe and a rising ‘storm of protest’ about fresh restrictions are a concern for us here in Edinburgh particularly with so many visitors expected for our Christmas and New Year celebrations. I suspect that we all know someone who has contracted Covid at some point. I met a former neighbour who had only the other day, and was still suffered from the after effects.

Stay well, Stay Safe and make time for Leith where you can.

Douglas Tharby, Chair

15 Appendix 3: secretary’s report

Links for further information and related areas of interest on Agenda item (9) Standing Reports

15.a Information: Planning and Consultations Information links

15.b CEC & Scottish Govt. Planning Information and Consultations

15.c Transport:

15.d Environment

15.e Heritage

3 thoughts on “LHNCC November 2021 minutes

  1. Pingback: LHNCC January 2022 minutes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.