LHNCC minutes: June 2018 ordinary meeting

(See next post for minutes of AGM held immediately after ordinary meeting.)

Minutes of the Leith Harbour and Newhaven Community Council ordinary meeting, held at Leith Community Centre on Tuesday 26 June 2018 at 7.00pm

Actions and decisions are red italic underlined. Nem conmeans that no-one spoke or voted against an item.

1 Introductions

Stewart Auld LHNCC Tim Parker Trinity CC
Colin Brown LHNCC Cllr Chas Booth Leith ward
Elaine Dick LHNCC Cllr Adam McVey Leith ward
James Duff LHNCC Cllr Jim Campbell Forth ward
Don Giles LHNCC/friends of Water of Leith Basin PC Colin Spence Police Scotland
Rob Levick LHNCC chair Ewan Anderson 7N Architects
Jennifer Marlborough LHNCC secretary Carole Cran Forth Ports
Douglas Tharby LHNCC treasurer Lesley McGrath HolderPlanning
Bruce Ryan Minutes secretary Claire Carr SWECO
Adrian Graham Leith Links CC Matthew Benson Retties
Sally Millar Leith Links CC 4 residents/visitors
Jim Scanlon Leith Links CC

2 Apologies

Arthur Young LHNCC Cllr Gordon Munro Leith ward
Allan Mackie LHNCC Deidre Brock MP Edinburgh North & Leith
Gillian Meek Victoria Primary School parents’ council

3 Minutes of previous meeting

These were approved as-is (proposed C Brown, seconded S Auld, nem con)

4 Matters arising

None

5 Police report

PC Spence reported

  • 5-year average rates are falling for most categories of crime, but traffic offences have risen.
  • Operation Agora is getting results on cycle thefts in most of Leith, with some people being reported to the procurator fiscal.
  • The new community Sgt apologies for not having attended LHNCC so far.

A resident asked about noise problems that have been emanating from the Bar Brig for over a year. PC Spence asked him to email the Leith Community Police, so that this could be dealt with. Cllr Booth also offered to follow this up.

6 Presentation: Forth Ports’ Revised Design Framework for Western Harbour

See also presentationand feedbackPDFs. (source: https://www.holderplanning.com/western-harbour-consultation)

Carole Cran (Finance Director, Forth Ports), Matthew Benson (Retties), Ewan Anderson (7N Architects), Claire Carr (SWECO), Lesley McGrath (HolderPlanning) reported:

  • FP (owner of this land) now wishes to complete development of the area with ‘affordable mid-market rental housing’.
    • This basically means aiming for households earning less than £40,000 per year.
    • 75% of Edinburgh households would qualify, so there is shortage of affordable housing in Edinburgh.
    • This shortage is shown by 3500 people being on a waitlist for a small number of flats in Western Harbour.
  • There is a masterplan that was granted planning permission in principle in 2004.
    • Because many things have changed since then, it is necessary to update a lot of detail but the basic layout of the development will not change. Hence permission to revise the masterplan is sought, not permission for a new plan.
    • The masterplan permission expires in March 2019. If permissions are not granted before then, nothing will proceed.
    • The masterplan had envisaged buildings of 8 to 12 storeys, but now buildings of 3 to 6 stories are envisaged.
    • The masterplan had permission for 938 homes, including some townhouses. The current financial model is based on around 1600 homes, but this figure is not guaranteed.
  • The financial model includes a soft loan from the Scottish Government’s financial transactions budget (around 25% of building costs). This will be repaid from rental income.
    • The balance of the investment is envisaged being made by pension funds, who generally seek long-term, stable returns on investment. (FP is actually owned by a pension fund.) This is common in the EU, but is only just beginning in the UK.
    • FP will procure all necessary investment before starting construction, thus avoiding risks from the mortgage market.
    • The development will meet needs of families on low incomes, and of CEC/SG and investors, for good-quality housing.
    • To achieve this, the development needs to be large.
  • All homes will conform to CEC guidelines and requirements on size, etc.
  • The original masterplan very tightly defined building materials, finishes, underground parking, and included office-space.
    • It is now envisaged that the development will be mostly residential, as required by CEC but with some local shops, a health centre (if NHS Lothian agrees) and a new 3-phase primary school (which has been brought forward by CEC).
    • The school is currently being discussed with CEC’s education planner.
    • Parking will now be above ground (in part to avoid problems from the land being reclaimed), and there will be duplex flats next to raised gardens.
  • The masterplan’s central park is in current ideas, but will follow CEC’s current guidance, e.g. all-weather pitch, potential for outside teaching, large open spaces, play spaces, trim-tracks for walking/running. It will be about the size of the Meadows.
    • The park will not have any buildings (e.g. pavilion) because it is mostly silt.
    • Maintenance is to be agreed with CEC.
  • Traffic will circulate through the development, enabling a balance of cars, pedestrians and cyclists.
    • Traffic is likely to be minimal at waterfront properties.
    • There will be cycle storage, and necessity for cars will be reduced by spaces for car-club cars.
  • The development will be managed by a holding company (to be created by the pension-fund owners), in order to maintain the value of the development.
  • CEC and SG are considering whether this development will be a catalyst for further waterfront regeneration.
  • The envisaged timescale includes
    • Obtaining revised design guidance in August 2018, with planned date 1 September 2018
    • Applying for planning permission for the initial phase in February 2019
    • Occupancy beginning in 2020.

7 Reports

7.a Secretary

J Marlborough reported that the MV Fingal is to be moved to Alexandra Dock. There will be a royal visit on 5 July.

7.b Treasurer

D Tharby reported that LHNCC’s current balance is £647·70, that LHNCC has received just its grant of £845·64, and hence the balance carried forward is £1491·34. However there are outstanding invoices for minutes and the Leith Gala totaling £52·50, so the close of year will be £1438·84 plus a few pence of interest.

8 Councillors’, MSP’s, MP’s reports

8.a Cllr Booth

He reported that there has been a site visit to the skate-park. Scottish Power insists that a 5-metre wide stretch outside the substation fence is cleared. This would impact the current build. CEC officers are investigating alternative sites, such as the end of the Hawthornvale path next to a sports pitch, but nothing has been agreed. In the meantime, the 5m stretch will be cleared.

8.b Cllr Campbell

He noted that CEC’s education committee has agreed to move forward with rebuilding of Trinity Academy’s sports facilities, and thanked LHNCC for its support. He also noted that a notorious pothole in Lindsay Road has been repaired.

8.c Cllr McVey

He noted that he is due to meet Charles Hammond over plans for the Western Harbour and other items, and asked for specific items to be taken into the meeting. There was discussion of traffic flows in the area.

  • D Giles noted noise issues from cruise-liners in the harbour, and suggested that this would affect the new development. He suggested that this work should be moved to the other end of the harbor, near the grain store.
  • Cllr McVey stated that the port is high enough to avoid likely problems from raised sea-levels

9 Planning update

See also LHNCC planning page: https://lhncc.org.uk/planning. J Marlborough reported:

9.a 18/01154/PAN: Baltic Street (Bath Road)

LHNCC will work with LLCC on this – there will be a meeting on 2 July (venue to be confirmed).

10 Events & feedback

See also LHNCC events page:https://lhncc.org.uk/events.

10.a Leith Neighbourhood Partnership meeting 14/6/18

D Tharby reported that the recent NP meeting was not well attended. He will share minutes when they become available.

10.b Newhaven Heritage Community Garden – Power of Food – 17/6/18

J Marlborough reportedthat this was an interesting event, and that volunteers are welcome

10.c Leith Festival Tattoo – 17/6/18

J Marlborough reportedthat this was an excellent event.

10.d Community Briefing NE ELDP – 19/6/18

R Levick reported that this event explained how planning workstreams fit together, and that the Local Development Plan is due to be evolved from this autumn until 2021.

10.e Place Workshop – 19/6/18

J Marlborough reportedthat this covered transport, movement, making places, which is not clearly defined.

10.f Edinburgh Summer Summit: 21/6/18 – 24/6/18

A Graham reported that this had been a good event, but it clashed with the Royal Highland Show.

10.g Community Councils Together on Trams manifesto meeting – 20/6/18

R Levick had circulated an updated version. LHNCC’s membership of CCTT was agreed nem con

10.h Forth Ports – Public Consultation: Ocean Terminal 25/6/18

See section 6 above.

11 Other work

See also LHNCC other work page: https://lhncc.org.uk/lhnccs-other-work

11.a LRT transport to WGH: joint meeting to be arranged with I Bieniowski, Network Performance Manager, date tbc

C Brown wishes to be at this meeting, which would involve all four relevant CCs. Action: J Marlborough to circulate date options.

11.b Trinity Academy. Meeting at Academy 20/6/18 feedback

See item 8b above.

11.c Police Scotland: letter re overspend sent to Donald Wilson – response on website

J Marlborough has circulated D Wilson’s response.

11.d Darren Ryan, NE Local Transport & Environment Manager – request for speed-bumps on Ocean Drive

J Marlborough reported that she had spoken with Mr Ryan, who stated that this was the responsibility of CEC’s health and safety officials, so he would contact them. Speed-bumps would be a temporary measure until the trams arrive. (The police like the idea.) There was some discussion over speed-camera. Action: Cllr Booth to follow up speed-bump possibilities.

12 AOCB

Cllr Campbell reported that there will be a northwest locality meeting about the waterfront.

13 Date of next meeting

Tuesday 28 August 2018

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.