(Adapted from an email from SESplan – full email is here)
The impact population, household and economic growth will have on our countryside, infrastructure and communities is explored in the SESplan Main Issues Report. With the second largest population growth in Scotland predicted by 2037 (220,000 more people and 25% more homes) there will be significant implications for wherever this new development is accommodated in the region.
SESplan launched the public consultation on Main Issues Report on the 21 July 2015. The consultation aims to get as many people as possible interested in the future of the region and commenting on the issues. The Main Issues Report asks key questions, the answers to which will shape the way our region looks, feels and functions for decades to come. The Main Issues Report represents your chance to influence the second strategic plan for the region.
As the consultation is gathering pace a range of events are taking place in the region and SESplan are encouraging people to come along to consultation events in their area to find out more. Events include:
Aimed at Community Councils, Community Groups and anyone looking to engage in discussions about the Main Issues Report (PDF). These events feature an introduction on what SESplan is and what the Main Issues are followed by workshop based discussion. Please let SESplan know if you want to attend email@example.com.
The Edinburgh events are
- Monday 24 August Community Event: St Thomas Church Hall, Glasgow Road, Corstorphine, Edinburgh 6-8pm
- Thursday 27 August Community Event: Waverley Court, East Market Street, Edinburgh 6-8pm
- Wednesday 2 September Community Event: Portobello Town Hall, Portobello High Street, Edinburgh 6-8pm
- Thursday 3 September Community Event: Waverley Court, East Market Street, Edinburgh 6-8pm
- Wednesday 9 September Community Event: Business Centre, City Chambers, Edinburgh 6-8pm
Aimed at everyone who wants to find out a bit more about the Main Issues and have a chat with officers. Come along at any time on the time and date shown. No prior confirmation required.
- Thursday 17 September Public Drop-In Event: City of Edinburgh, Faith Mission Hall, Gilmerton, Edinburgh 3-7pm
Seminar Theme Events
Events about the wider challenges and solutions rather than about SESplan and the Main Issues Report itself; these three events are aimed at the development industry, investors, house builders, social housing providers and those with interests in active travel, energy, town centres or green infrastructure. Advance booking essential though firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday 4 September ‘A Place for Communities’ seminar event: Chartered Institute of Housing, Edinburgh 9.30am-1pm.
Featuring presentations on placemaking in a capital city region; looking beyond housing numbers; the future of town centres; green networks and the coordination of housing delivery with infrastructure provision. Speakers include Craig McLaren, Director RTPI Scotland; Malcolm Fraser, Director Malcolm Fraser Architects; Nicola Barclay, Director of Planning Homes for Scotland and Diarmuid Lawlor, Architecture+Design Scotland
- Tuesday 8 September ‘A Place to do Business’ seminar event: Scottish Enterprise, Apex House, Edinburgh 1.30-5pm.
Featuring presentations on developing the city deal; growth sectors; economic vision in the city region; the visitor economy and the future of renewables. Speakers include Graham Birse, Edinburgh Napier University; Dr Andy Kerr,Executive Director, Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation (ECCI); Chris Greenwood, Head of Research, Visit Scotland; Martin Wight, Manager Strategy and Economics, Scottish Enterprise and Ian Johnson, Head of Communities and Economy, Midlothian Council.
- Monday 14 September ‘A Better Connected Place’ seminar event: City Chambers, Edinburgh 9am-12pm