Scottish Water works – Duke Street
Permission has been granted by CEC City Wide Traffic Management Board (after meetings with the Neighbourhood Roads Team, Lothian Buses and Police Scotland) to allow the closure of Duke Street between Academy Street and Duncan Place to facilitate urgent sewer repair works by Scottish Water.
Due to the location of the sewer it is impossible to maintain vehicle access past the works area and a road closure is required to allow the repairs to proceed in a safe and timeous fashion. The duration of the works is anticipated to be in the region of ten days however it is hoped that they may be completed sooner if no unforeseen issues arise during the excavation.
Below is a bullet point summary of the key measures agreed by the relevant parties to mitigate the disruption to the road network.
• The works area is located between Academy Street and Duncan Place and involves a 4 metre deep excavation in the middle of the carriageway.
• Bus diversion arrangements will be posted on Lothian buses website and relevant stops around the affected area to minimise the disruption to public transport. This will include a temporary set of traffic signals(manned at peak times) to ensure access and egress from Gordon Street on to Leith Walk is possible. The diversion route is :-
Route – Foot of Easter Road to Gt Junction St – Diversion via Duncan Place, Qn Charlotte St, Bernard St and if necessary The Shore
Route – Foot of Easter Road to Leith Walk – Diversion via Easter Road, Dalmeny St or Gordon Street
Route – Foot of Leith Walk to Foot of Easter Road – Diversion via Constitution St, Qn Charlotte St and Duncan Place.
• The diversion routes will be signed around the affected area to direct displaced general traffic.
• Advance warning signs have been erected to fore warn road users of the restrictions.
• Liaison has been carried out with local businesses to ensure deliveries can be maintained.
• Scottish Water have carried out a mail drop to affected homes and businesses to inform of the works.
• CEC have posted all relevant information on our website.
• Any enquires regarding the works should be directed to :-
Scottish Water customer services 0845 601 8855
or Engineering Works- contact- Charles Paul 0131 445 6431
It is envisaged that there will be delays to traffic flows over the initial days of the works however Scottish Water and their contractor will make whatever modifications to the set up should any be required.